Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Burial at Sea vs Interment

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Burial at Sea vs Interment

I divnt na , ask Cappy I saw him throwing handfuls of it off the South Tyne pier to attract his tiger sharks , it could be spelt berlie , ya kna what Cappies spelling is like JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    [COLOR=#666666][FONT=Roboto][COLOR=#444444][FONT=Roboto]To make burley, mix a combination of fish parts, tuna oil, and some grain together in an old blender. Ensure mixture retains visible chunks of fish and isn’t blended too long.!
    Sounds like the filling of the bridge sandwiches on the 0000-0400 watch

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diversity of the English language, known in this area as rubby-dubby, or chum, mind, when i get one of these broad Geordies on the phone, its a constant *pardon* from me, lol, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24 just think Keith if you lived 50 miles north of Newcastle. You would have to to translate , I Ken what you mean , but my wholes too wee. Took me 65 seconds to translate . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ivan cloherty View Post
    sounds like the filling of the bridge sandwiches on the 0000-0400 watch
    not much difference ivan....but i could never understand how they ate them .....perhaps they were using them as burley and fishing off the wing of the bridge.....the best on tramps i ever made were ie cheese and tom ....old eggs left over from breakfast ...salad shortly after leaving port after taking same aboard.....rarely corned dog .....it was governed by what was there ....apart from the ore carriers ....when beef ...pork ...lamb ..salmon etc was available.....and one old mans wife brought a massive cheese .....and a case of lobster tails as it was what he liked .....happily i liked it as well and when the lobster tails were nearly finished i paid of in glasgow after telling the new second steward ...all the old mans treats were secure .....can still see his smiling face as he thanked me .....oh happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    not much difference ivan....but i could never understand how they ate them
    Cappy on that watch, the longest watch psychologically you'd do anything to pass the time, you were always looking for a light even though hundreds of miles from the nearest land, happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah the peace and tranquility of the middle watch,I always think of that ditty “ The working class can kiss my Ass, I’ve got the second mates job at last “.
    JS.
    As regards incinerators,think I already mentioned that bumped into a seafarer I sailed with out here over 20 years ago , in the mall a few weeks ago , he was just approaching 70, said he was still at sea and on a Scandinavian Ship and loving it, his only job was looking after the incinerator. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd February 2022 at 01:05 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the Paproa we were in Piareus for ten days or so.
    The cook, or maybe the cuckoo, depending on your liking of his food decided we would not make bread in port but get some of the local stuff.

The greatest thing since sliced bread comes no where near this stuff.
    It was small in size and was sliced, but obviously not by machine.

But this had other qualities not seen in normal bread, but this was not normal.

The consistency of a form of carboard but without any flexabilty, the slice stayed as it was, could not bend.

It was as popular with the crew as crabs in the dunny, most went over the side and did not even float so the birds did not get any.
    So sandwiches were out of the question for the stay.

Maybe Den could have cut them up to use as a base for his world famous Tab Nabs. Would most likely need a chain saw for that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From my Dad's notes after the rescue of crew SS Aymeric Sunday 16th May 1943. ONS 7

"At 2242 I saw No. 31 (Aymeric) being torpedoed for the second time....
    At 2305 I arrived at the scene of operations and saw a number of rafts and one badly holed boat in which there were a number of men including the Master

Monday 17th May 1943
    All survivors were on board at 0040 They were in a very numbed condition; a number were suffering from shock and exposure. 6 Lascars died; presumably from shock & exposure.

Tuesday 18th May 1943
    At 0800 six Lascar seamen of No. 31 who died were buried according to their Religious beliefs

Sunday 23rd May. Divine Service was held in the Ship's Saloon at request of Master of No. 31. Attended by all survivors and all my Ship's Crew off duty.

The Lascar seamen are commemorated on a Memorial in India. Can't find the note at the moment. Sorry.

Dad was deeply affected by the sea burials and carried it to the end of his life ( aged 99)

regards
    Brenda

11. Thanks j.sabourn, Ivan Cloherty, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My father died on board his ship, the Australia Star as it was leaving Durban, the ship returned to port but he was buried at sea off Durban. I don't know why or who decided he could be buried at sea but possibly because the ship was heading for Australia it was impractical to keep his body on board and there was no means of returning his body to the U.K. I have pictures of his burial at sea sent to me years ago by the chief officer of the ship Peter Stacey.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast