Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uniform identification?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Uniform identification?

Hi,

I have very little information about the picture below. It was taken in 1943, possibly in the West Indies or more likely inthe USA. The shorter man on the right (US uniform) is my father in law. The taller man was Scandinavian, we think is Dutch or Norwegian. Can anyone identify the uniform he is wearing?

There is a very, very outside chance that the taller man might have sailed on ships from Holland to Australia. Any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
    Daisy1942

DAd and friend in uniform.jpg

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Uniform identification?

Daisy, I think it is a Junior Officer Lieutenant,
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 25th November 2021 at 04:18 PM.
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Hazel Stringer, N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Hazel Stringer, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Terry,

I have been told it is likely to be that of a merchant shipping line..... but there are so many!

Daisy1942

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hazel, from the cap badge it appears to be standard British BOT MN issue and the stripe is junior radio officer. The photo will have been taken between 1st May and the 31st October if in the UK, official period for wearing white cap covers at that time in the UK, (they started to be worn all year round sometime in the 1960's) if taken in West Indies then the Tall man would be wearing whites and the American would be wearing Khaki, doubt either would be wearing Blues in the West Indies apart from an arranged dedicated photo opportunity

Whites were always worn between latitudes 23.5 degrees North and 23.5 degrees South though could be worn between 40 degrees North and 35 degrees South depending on time of year and Master's discretion. You normally had a notice on the bridge and in the ER stating that whites will be worn as from 00.00 hours on X-Day to let you know which uniform was appropriate for the saloon and bridge duties. Later on whites were generally replaced by Khaki's and eventually boiler suits as far as I see these days.

Notice to wear Blues when north bound was always welcome, as you knew you were getting nearer home
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 25th November 2021 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Ivan,

Lots of information there! I assume BOT is Board of Trade?

Dad escaped from Singapore just days before it fell. He may have gone to Australia - we are not sure. However, he arrived in the West Indies late in 1942 we believe. It was in Trinidad that he joined the USED (army) Coastguard and travelled around the West Indies, parts of South America and the US mainland. By May 1944 he was in the British Merchant Navy sailed from Montreal to the Med! He rather got around!

He spoke very little of the war, but we have the impression he knew the other chap well. I did wonder if they may have both sailed on board MV Abbekerk as she left Australia in March 1942, travelling via Columbo, Basra, Abadan, Durban and Trinidad. Does not quite fit the time line we have for Dad but it is very close!

Also, whilst writing this it has geven me a new thought that might be worth chasing - Thanks!

Hazel
    Last edited by Hazel Stringer; 25th November 2021 at 06:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan (again),

Following your description of when to wear whites gave me pause for thought. We have a vague memory that the photograph was taken in Mobile, which falls in the proper are for blue uniforms. Thank you!

Hazel

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, you may well be correct there as similar was worn by second steward on UCL.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Thanks N/A, Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Likes Hazel Stringer liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    I am sure the chap on the left is wearing a 2nd Stewards Braid ?
    You could well be correct Lewis, but never sailed on a ship where 2nd stewards wore uniforms, but then again I never sailed on big liners. Sorry Hazel if I have mislead you on rank, but the uniform requirements remain correct

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was your dad a small guy ? Or is the other fella about 7ft tall, If he fell over he would be half way home, Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 There were always somewhere the unorthodox shipmasters Ivan and Captain Roberts mentioned in a former post would probably celebrate getting close to the northern latitudes by putting his trousers back on , whether he had forgotten to pack his whites that trip or not , don’t know. But did notice he was in full blues and even replaced his trilby with the scrambled eggs for the office visiting the ship on return to the UK. Cheers JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast