Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Uniform identification?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Uniform identification?

I keep on putting this one or similar up but it keeps on disappearing. The only cargo passenger shipI was on was the Sunprincess in 1966/67 running between Canada and the West Indies. Dress for the passenger saloon for ships staff. Was white shirt and epaulettes , black trousers and cumberband underclothes optional. The only ships staff apart from the stewardesses were the mate and master and chief engineer. I used to make excuses for non attendance at dinner and used to get the stewardess to deliver at 2000 hrs coming off watch in my room. Pretty little thing she was , the stewardesses were always dressed in white top and bottom. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan and Lewis,

Whether the mystery man is a radio officer or a steward - both are people Dad would have mad a point of knowing. Dad was keen on radios and loved to take them apart and put them back together. I suspect the stewards were popular on any ship, es a way to "acquire" extra rations in war time!

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Terry,

No Dad was not terribly tall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I keep on putting this one or similar up but it keeps on disappearing. The only cargo passenger shipI was on was the Sunprincess in 1966/67 running between Canada and the West Indies. Dress for the passenger saloon for ships staff. Was white shirt and epaulettes , black trousers and cumberband underclothes optional. The only ships staff apart from the stewardesses were the mate and master and chief engineer. I used to make excuses for non attendance at dinner and used to get the stewardess to deliver at 2000 hrs coming off watch in my room. Pretty little thing she was , the stewardesses were always dressed in white top and bottom. JS
    yum yum .....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nothing like Lobster thermodore Cappy. Nearest to it out here is Crayfish. With a bottle of Sauterne that’s what I call luxury. Mind you do need good company . Cheers JS .
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pray do tell, where do you get the Sauterns
    Never seen that in the essentials shop, (Dans).
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Any sweet white wine I call sauterne John , I am not an expert on any drink I just drink it to be sociable. Someone gave me a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Lable the other day and said I hope you like the brand , my reply was don’t care about the brand would have drank it whatever it was, the same bottle is already half full. Cheers JS
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thin Lizzy - Whiskey in the Jar.

LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXXacJ87Tuw

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Uniform identific

#19 Bought mine in Australia Lewis. So there must be an Australian version , can’t see Aussies forking out for fancy named wines , when they have plenty much cheaper at the corner winery. I’m due another case next week 6 red and 6 white delivered to the door , better than a milkman , just on my last 15 bottles which cost $110 delivered from the winery in the eastern states , this one from our own winery’s in WA. At 5 and 6 dollars a bottle who bothers sitting looking at the label. I much prefer drinking it. Than admiring it.Cheers JS.

Times have changed since the days of my youth in Australia , seamen used to drink the Oz wine when they couldn’t afford beer , and the cheapest of them all was Penfolds . Today it is probably the most expensive and if one wants to be known as a wine connoisseur that is what you would drink. Not being an expert I have been told it would surpass anything else including the so called celebrated French wines living off their past glory... JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th November 2021 at 01:35 AM.
    R575129

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Uniform identific

Are we talking uniform wines ?

A whiter shade of pale !

"Within Spain the great table wines were from Rioja, but in the UK they appeared only in their humblest form at the lowest end of the market, mislabelled as Spanish Chablis and Spanish Burgundy. And most of the wines so labelled did not come from Rioja at all, but were simply table wines of doubtful origin. There was also Spanish Sauternes, which was very sweet and rather nasty."

Sweet as heck and served with Pud's.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 28th November 2021 at 01:40 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello, from my experience with both the UK & US navies, here are some of my observations. When I was working on the Cunard liners in the 60's, the junior catering officers wore one single zig zag stripe, the 2nd stwd wore two zig zags, the senior 2nd stwd 2-1/2 and the chief steward three. I cant remember what the sparkies wore but I seem to think that they were straight stripes.

The deck officers wore plain straight gold stripes while the engine room officers had purple bands in between the gold, and the doctor had red.

The American officer is, I believe a a U.S. navy lieutenant of the engine branch.

Regards

Austin

13. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Hazel Stringer liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast