Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Patrick McCall, b.1884 Liverpool. Certificate of Discharge No. 919696

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Patrick McCall, b.1884 Liverpool. Certificate of Discharge No. 919696

My Grandfather’s CofD has been passed down to me, however, it does not cover the full period of time of his service in the Merchant Navy as it lists the 1st ship he was on as the SS Mopan, (329813), 09.05.1934 to 10.06.1934. The CofD ends 09.12.1946 when he was discharged from service as ‘physically unfit for sea service’. G
    Written on Page 4 of his CofD is a statement, “Issued in Continuation of 919696, original full. Free issue.” Is there any way that I can find out his merchant navy service prior to May 1934? He married in July 1912 and his occupation is stated as ‘Marine Fireman’ on the marriage certificate.

Any advice, suggestions or leads that can be provided will be very greatly accepted.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Thanks N/A, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Patrick McCall, b.1884 Liverpool. Certificate of Discharge No. 919696

Marion, thank you very much for this. That is my Grandad, for sure, it is the photograph that is in his Certificate of Discharge. I do have the Medal Card which I obtained from TNA. However, I do not have anything about his merchant navy history before 1934 other than that he was on the 'Ben-my-Chree'

I think the P. McCall on the Crew List of the Canadian might be for a 'Peter McCall' which is a name I've come across before in my research.

I am very grateful that you have taken time to help me out with this and I shall be very appreciative of any information that you are able to uncover.

Eddie McCall

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry, Marion, I forgot to add that I do have a copy of his birth certificate.

Eddie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Patrick McCall, b.1884 Liverpool. Certificate of Discharge No. 919696

Hello Edward
    As he may have been in the Service prior to 1934 as you say, then his Original Records would be held at the Southampton Maritime Archives.
    So only way is to apply through them.
    Best way to start so as not to spend too much is to first ask them if they still have his Original records prior to that date! Once that is established then of course you can go ahead and order!
    Hope this helps
    Cheers
    Read all here!
    Central index of Merchant Seamen (southampton.gov.uk)

On FMP there is CR1 ,CR2 AND CR10 Listed for him as well. Its a Pay Site !
    But cannot say for sure if any of those would have all his Service Records, however they should as i understand it????

Search Results for Britain, Merchant Seamen, 1918-1941 | findmypast.co.uk
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 3rd November 2021 at 08:08 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank You Doc, I appreciate your advice and will pursue these suggestions. I wasn't aware of the Southampton Index so I'll make that 1st port of call b4 checking on fmp. Hopefully I will get to know more about where Grandad sailed and the vessels he was on.
    Best Regards,
    Eddie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Marian
    So Edward that will now more than likely be his entire Service up to 1941. I still have not renewed My Subscription LOL With those Ship Numbers you will be able to get all the names now as well, then to get the Movement Cards which will show where he went. This will save you some pennies ,as you now dont have to worry about the Southampton Archives.
    Cheers

eg 148899 Tucurinca in 1935 Elders and Fyffes Glasgow Built 1926 at Linthouse
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 4th November 2021 at 09:32 PM.

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just to add a little clearer Marian
    Thanks
    Cheers

BT-351-1-90838.pdf

R697530

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marion,
    Thank you so much for all this new information, it gives me a lot to be looking for and increasing my knowledge of Grandads voyages. The information that you and Doc have provided and the advice that you have both given is really appreciated. I am very grateful to both of you and I can look forward to many more hours of searching in the right places.
    Best Regards,
    Eddie

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc,
    A big 'Thank You' to both you and Marion for all the work you have done to provide me with all this info about my Grandad, I am amazed and overwhelmed. I can see that I am going to be able to learn a lot more about his merchant naval career thanks to all this. I am very appreciative to you, and to Marion for all of this.
    Regards,
    Eddie

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would like to, once again, very much thank both Doc Vernon and Marion Gray for the very helpful assistance they have provided to me in my search for my Grandfather's Seafaring service. Because of their involvement and advice I am now more familiar with Grandad Pat's long association with the Merchant Navy and the 'gaps' that I previously had have much reduced. I am still trying to find records for the period 1912 through 1919 and for the years 1925 to 1933 and I have written to the Central Index of Merchant Seamen at Southampton to see if they can provide further information. But without the assistance of the 'Doc' and Marion I would not have been able to even start filling in the gaps.
    Much gratitude and many thanks.
    Eddie McCall

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16 I have not followed this post to its conclusion so may be speaking out of turn. As regards gaps in his discharge book however they could be if he stayed in British ships if he was master he would not have had one. If on foreign flag ships he still would not have had one. As in both cases they were not required. JS
    R575129

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast