Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MN Song

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: MN Song

Well known sayings blurted out by shall we say a bit under the weather seamen on their way back to their offshore ships varied from “ we’re going well we’re going shell , shell shell shell shell “ usually around the Tory Dock area in Aberdeen , and probably as Tony Taylor has heard. Many times in other parts from others in opposition “ It doesn’t Matta we’re with Zapata “ , seamen could always rise to the occasion in more than one way when it came to finding names and slogans for their respective companies . Seaforth Maritime as other on site know their funnel mark to me looked like the emblem of the first point of Libra twice one inside the other .When I asked what it was supposed to represent , I was told a globular of oil inside a globular of water or the other way round. I came away scratching my head , and have been scratching ever since. JS .....
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th October 2021 at 01:42 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think we are going with a reading of the attached.
    Thank you all for your contributions.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it will be adapted to cut out MN Day.
    Attached Files Attached Files

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    I think we are going with a reading of the attached.
    Thank you all for your contributions.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course it will be adapted to cut out MN Day.
    For those in peril on the Sea would be a good one!!! or in oceans deep no poppies grow.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On UCLA, cooks on channel night would sing a chorus or a hundred or so of "Bluebells are bluebells, Blue bells are Blue, Bluebells are Bluebells, because bluebells are Blue." Second verse...all together..."Bluebells are bluebells, bluebells are Blue, Bluebells are bluebells, because bluebells are Blue"...Third verse...Bluebells are Bluebells, Bluebells....." All loud and in perfect harmony

This went on all night. Next morning at fixing breakfast for the departing bloods, somebody, a cook or whinger, porter, KP, what ever, would start, sub consciously, humming or whistling the tune to a load chorus of boos and jeers. Even in the line-up for discharge and pay-off. It took days to get it out of your mind.

Anybody who remembered the tune and read the 2.25 choruses might even catch themselves humming a few bars.

The words are not to hard for RN types to catch on to, so introduce it along with a case of beer to the Judges and it could become our song, either that or they could boot us out of the organization.

Cheers, Rodney..."Mmm, Mm, Mm, Mmmm,Mm...mmm, mm, mm....Oh S@#$!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

7. Likes Steve Neale liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dennis,

quite an honour to be asked to lay a wreath on behalf of the MN. You do raise an interesting question over an MN song. Eternal father strong to save has quite rightly been mentioned as appropriate. The song is widely used - even across the pond in the USA as the Navy Hymn. There is one tune which might also fit the bill specifically for the MN. It would perhaps be "nearer my god to thee". This was reportedly played by the band on the Titanic as it sank. Some very brave, signed on (presumably) crew members, doing their job in incredibly difficult circumstances. This would be much like the very many people who gave their lives in wartime.

9. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Robert.
    The powers that be, have chosen this poem that I submitted.They sailed the seas to bear the brunt.doc

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McGuckin View Post
    I have been asked to lay an MN wreath on November 11.
    The service will be held indoors.
    The Legion ask if the MN have an official song.?
    I knw quite a few, but none suitable for the occasion.
    Any ideas?
    This is "Sailing By" composed by Ronald Binge in 1963, and performed by the Alan Perry/William Gardner Orchestra, and is the version used by the BBC for its late night shipping forecast.Sailing By is played every night on BBC Radio 4 at around 00:45hrs before the late Shipping Forecast. Its tune is repetitive, assisting in its role of serving as a signal for sailors tuning in to be able to easily identify the radio station. It also functions as a buffer — depending on when the final programme before closedown finishes, Sailing By (or part of it) is played as a 'filler' as the shipping forecast starts at 00:48hrs precisely. The initial reason for its introduction was because of the indeterminate finish time for the preceding Midnight News, leading to filling music being played until the Shipping Forecast was due to start. Sailing By was added to allow for a clear break between the end of the music and the start of the forecast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eZUt16zVi0

Dedicated to all British Merchant Seaman and Fishermen who have waited on the bridge of a ship or in the wheelhouse of a fishing boat at 0040 hrs in the dark of a stormy night waiting for the BBC Shipping Weather Forecast to come on with more good news for the next 24 hours at sea . I think we can all agree that this theme is the most unapplicable music in the middle of a gale ! In stormy weather and high seas it should be changed to Diana Ross "Ain't no Mountain High enough" or The Doors "Riders of the Storm'

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Capt Joe, has come up trumps for an age, hope all goes well.

I did look into similar years ago and this way come up with help with what follows:

Sharpe then was hot on TV, Napolean era drama but the the theme tune, over
    the hills and far away is old / traditional.

Hence:

Over the Seas and Far Away

Convoys formed – brave men aboard,
    Battened down to go abroad.
    Sailing out from Barry port,
    Leaving wives and all distraught.

CHORUS

O’er the seas and far away
    The call of seas caused me to stray
    So far from home and family
    I only ask “Remember me!”

Britain needed us they said,
    The seagulls’ cries they onwards led.
    Out there we earned each crust of bread,
    Though now many are the honoured dead.

CHORUS

We strived with all our might and main,
    To bring our cargoes home again.
    Food and weaponry supplied,
    Laid down our lives, so many died.

CHORUS

So here we lie in watery grave,
    Not all returned – though many saved.
    Remember us – remember well,
    We are the ones who gave our all.

CHORUS

Dusty Miller, Joe Earl, Barry Ladies Choir

In Memory of Those Who Made the Ultimate Sacrifice.

Following requests to pen the words to “Over the Seas and Far Away” both Charles “Dusty” Miller and Captain Joe Earl have provided the necessary versions towards a wonderful remembrance. An arrangement has been adapted by the Barry Ladies Choir for an inaugural version to be performed at the Merchant Navy Association (Wales) Barry Branch Annual Seafarers’ Service in September 2010.

I would personally like to thank Dusty, Joe and the Barry Ladies for making this possible. The arrangement was decided upon by the choir themselves and may still be altered slightly.

This dedicated MN song can be adapted, simply change the name of the port / town etc the tune won it mainly there is nothing worse than be at such an event and no one has a clue: words / music etc.

As said we went for the trad: Over the hills and far away and adapted to O’er the seas and far away

Worked / works for us and has been used as far as NZ.

Hope this helps.

Keith.

The tune: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOeYPpOblAw

ADDED:

This way: Wales, peeps singing is the norm but, they sing most to familiar tunes etc.

Hence as said: Over the hills and far away - adapted may be a good option.

“Over the Seas and Far Away” ?

Just pos, more can occur. hope you will update / inform etc.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 3rd November 2021 at 05:38 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2