Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasteful Thinking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wasteful Thinking

Meaning i suggest that nowdays nothing is hauled over the side any longer, all that has stopped and all the Food Scraps are now Pulverised and discharged through Special apparatus into the Ocean, this is i think now only done after the ships leave port as no rubbish no matter how or what form is allowed in Port!

Makes good Food for lots of Sea Life too
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 18th October 2021 at 06:31 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Thanks, think it was just me confused on then and now,
    glad none of it become soup of the day. LOL. K.

3. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 50's, 60's and even later we had shore manufactured steel 'Gash Chutes' which hung and lashed over the rails or bulwark aft whilst at sea, these were for use of galley and saloon/mess waste, but used for practically everything. On the ships I served on from tramps to liner-service gash was never dumped overside whilst in port as we had 40 gallon gash drums, one for food and one for anything else (mostly engineers oily waste from port maintenance rags etc), there were carts which came round every morning to empty the gash drum from every ship in port and taken to local farms (allegedly!) this was a practice world wide, but in places like India and Indonesia in those days these gash drums were scavenged by kids sneaking aboard in the night. Even in those days the vessel could get fined for dumping gash in the harbour, human waste was acceptable!, there being no shore facilities to handle it at the time. Contents of 'rosies' normally papers and bottles/cans were just dumped over the leeside at sea and in the general waste drum in port. Thunder boxes were of course used worldwide, on some ships we had stevedores plumbed outside toilets but experience told you to keep them locked as the users seemed reluctant to use the flush and would rather stand on the seat and crap on other peoples crap, which meant some poor crew members, usually the cadets, had to clean the thing upon sailing and the only way was full oilskins and high pressure hose, followed by very hot showers. Happy days!!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 18th October 2021 at 07:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    I remember on the P&O boats on docking night before we entered the Channel the utility gang were turned too at midnight and dozens of frozen Lamb and Beef carcasses were heaved over the stern , I was told at the time it was because the meat was bought in Australia, it would not pass regulations in the UK, Sad the waste
    I think it was same in the US but with fruit. They did not want the risk of insect pests being in the fruit on board.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11 leaving port canavaral on the Disney Wonder we watched a school of dolphins follow us out. They were waiting for the minced food waste to be discharged.
    Can remember the toilet doors being locked in Royal Albert dock, usually forced open after a couple of days and then everything just going into the dock.
    Also the boards hung over the side leaving a streak of crap, always the fleet to avoid when painting over the wall on stages.
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan 13 , yes remember that as well 40 gallon drum, sometimes two, on a block and tackle and chained at the bottom, soon as at sea, let the lot go over. Sometimes a long time in port they really began to whistle, suppose with the old UC liners they did not have the facilities for all the gash, hence the gash chutes in harbour
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    , suppose with the old UC liners they did not have the facilities for all the gash, hence the gash chutes in harbour
    I was lucky enough not to have sailed with UCL, we only used the gash chutes whist at sea on the ships I served on

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

our mothers who struggled to feed their families on rations would have cried if they had seen the waste food thrown over the side of a cargo ship,
    let alone the liners, cheers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I was lucky enough not to have sailed with UCL, we only used the gash chutes whist at sea on the ships I served on
    Just a question Ivan
    Why were you lucky not to have served on any UCL Ships , i do see by many other posts that you seem to have something against the good old Company that was loved by Millions! How can you not like a Company if you never sailed with them, its just by hearsay is it?

As said just a question!!??
    Cheers

Many that did sail with the UCL in the days were very happy , and spoke highly of them, yes it may have been one of the Companies with a lot of the Gay Crew , but i can tell you that those were some of the finest Asst Stewards you could come across!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Thanks Bill Cameron thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On my return to sailing days on container ships in early 2000’s. While at sea we stowed all “KD” (Knocked Down) fiber board cartons, of which there were many, in a large locker to be thrown onto a barge or dock side upon arrival in port. If we ran out of holding space at sea, we were instructed to tear of every scrap of plastic tape adhesive securings and address labels/markings before throwing the fiber board over the side. I did not like it but is what was done. Keith Adams.

14. Thanks John F Collier, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast