Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Wasteful Thinking

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wasteful Thinking

While watching a u tube video about waste disposal methods on modern cruise ships (which was amazing) I got to thinking about our 60’s ships and how we got rid of our head waste of both varieties. For the life of me I cannot remember how we did this. I am pretty sure that we didn’t just dump it overboard in port or even at sea. (Perhaps we did) It’s completely gone from my memory. Can anyone advise me what the methods were?
    Many thanks
    Paul

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wasteful Thinking

As far as I recall, all waste went over the wall.
    Remember leaving London Docks, it took a few days before the karsie flushed clean water.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember on the P&O boats on docking night before we entered the Channel the utility gang were turned too at midnight and dozens of frozen Lamb and Beef carcasses were heaved over the stern , I was told at the time it was because the meat was bought in Australia, it would not pass regulations in the UK, Sad the waste

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    Sad the waste
    Cheer up Bill, no waste, it gave us the best crabs and lobsters in the South West, if not in the UK

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Cheer up Bill, no waste, it gave us the best crabs and lobsters in the South West, if not in the UK
    Sadly Ivan, I’m allergic to shellfish, but I do like Lamb Chops & Steaks 😂😂

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes with waste on the UCL Ships i recall a lot going over the side, as well as lots of Silver too! That now was a total waste! It is said that there is a Path you can follow under the Sea from Southampton to Cape Town on the Silver Road !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember well in Capetown harbour, i was peggy on the UC boat, and the gash shute was rigged on the well deck for the crew messrooms, straight into the harbour it went, bottles and tins as well. terrible with a beautiful harbour, but that was how it was in those days, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I added this fact to a different Thread a few days back but better suited here.
    In answer to Paul Racine, everything went over the side until the advent of Settling/Holding tanks being fitted.
    In port we hung bottom weighted wood batten boards over any offending scupper, some even adjacent to the gangway. They deflected the nasty stuff down the side hull plating into the water on the dock side and, unless expecting a barge, Water Tender or Oiler outboard, we just let it rip out away from the hull in an at will jet.
    I was on a Peace Time WW2 Liberty ( more than 2000 built) in Puerto Padre, Cuba 1961 a few of us were leaning on the outboard bulwark doing a bit of fishing when a Junior Engineer ran out and thrust his way between us to look over the side. He was chuffed as heck as he made it in time to see a huge turd shoot out and splash into the water. He proudly exclaimed — “that will give Castro a problem !”
    As a school boy during the War by the River Mersey, we called Turds “Mersey Gold Fish” and ‘FL’s’ or used condoms “Mersey Silver Carp”. Jeez, why do I remember this stuff ? Later, on the West Coast of S. America, we had to build a “Thunder Box” over the stern for Stevedores/Longshoremen or “Hombres” to do their stuff. Constructed so one could see the occupant’s head and shoulders only. Again, I am guessing that is Engineers having to serve their Apprenticeship ashore plus earning a Minor Degree in Socializing from Butlin’s that gives them such a broad sense of humor. Anyway, one of their rank took a beggining to end series of photographs of a guy taking a dump. Everything from the contorted straining face, the descending turd, the eventual splash and the facial look of joyful relief. Posted on the crew notice board for rest of the voyage.
    I will add that I Volunteered as AB on the “Jeremiah O’Brien” in San Francisco for a few years and held our body waste in a Ballast Tank and discharged it ashore when it was near capacity. We later discovered that since the tank was not properly coated against acidic corrosion our waste eventually ate its way through the steel tank walls. Cost a lot of funds to repair and improve the Holding Tank — lesson learned ! Along side, we rig a waste line directly to the shore sewer system and at the same time, fresh water, power and telephone lines just as regular vessels when in port. I will shut up now ! Keith Adams. R 570384
    Last edited by Keith Adams; 18th October 2021 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Forgot word ‘Engineer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From what I remember on UCL, there were two gash chutes in the galley and all food waste, and a bit more, went out that way.
    As officers steward every evening as soon as the sun had gone down two black plastic rubbish bags went over the wall.

Silver and some crockery was done by BOT wash up, that is over the side, apart from silver used as currency in Las Palmas.

But now on cruise ships not even one scrap goes over the side,
    However all food waste is ground top a pulp and goes into the sea.
    Theory is it will either be eaten by the fish or go to the bottom.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 18th October 2021 at 05:07 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sorry, Leaves me asking in a most repectful way. BUT, WHAT!

RE: But now on cruise ships not even one scrap goes over the side, OK

THEN:
    However all food waste is ground top a pulp and goes into the sea.

As said just wondered. K.

Only wondering, certain you will enlighten us all.

A little confused but, remain to be informed further, to be enlightened
    and learn much. K.
    Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 18th October 2021 at 06:20 AM.

11. Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast