Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Ship funnels

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ship funnels

I always thought it was harder to hold the 3rd strand while making yourself fast threw a block, As oppose a lizard.
    {terry scouse}

2. Likes j.sabourn, Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Would of thought through a lizard would be easier to hold the two parts of rope together as would be more friction than a block which if started to run would have less chance of getting control back. Which is think looking back is what you are saying Terry. Have to ask Brian think he fell a few times working aloft. Cheers JS .
    R575129

4. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit off thread, but don't recall ever painting the bow like this shows, paint stage plus griping wire and paint brushes,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTJpU0iCEmU
    R689823

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can’t find the picture but assume you mean by griping wires what we used to use rope gantlins for bowsing in the stage closer to the shell plating under the flare of the bow , by bowsing in the stage ropes. As can’t see the picture is hard to think of a wire being used chafing against a rope . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One trip across the Atlantic and all that red rust they painted over on the port bow is going to come racing through, with all that clobber on it's surprising they could move their arms to paint. Seems no one told them the easiest way to use a jacobs ladder is to ascend and descend is sideways, stops it going into mid air

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kieth, Agree mate a bloody shambles, They have more lines over the side than British Rail, If i ever climbed or descended on a rope ladder i would climb up the side and that painting stage would have well gone over the side typical Yankee botch up Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sometimes easier to come that way up a pilot ladder as well Ivan. Forget what the rules were about what length you had to have stretchers put on , but even with stretchers a lot of the old hands still came up sideways. Old habits die hard. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I well remember the call *smoko * while painting off the stages, bosun used to come round with pilot ladder to let you up, sod that, too much smoko time lost, we just used to shimmy up the gantlin, unless someone made me laugh half way up, used to be as week as a lamb then, kt
    R689823

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    Painting the funnel on Shaw Savill ships was straightforward, wouldn't like to paint the likes of Blue Star.
    Always used to be a job n knock, except one trip on the Icenic, the mate wouldn't give us a job n knock so we took 2 days to do it.
    Loved the Icenic. Did the maiden trip on her.
    NZ coast. Hard to beat that.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI TERRY, I know the US is a very mixed ethnic population but i think the crew of the 5BC SEATTLE appear to be Indonesian … please don’t blame the US for every stupid nautical work activity. Sadly, the very country Initials set ourselves up ie., US. Useless. Anyway, i returned to the sea a few years back and was mortified by all of the stupid so called SAFETY stuff i had to go through just to perform a simple task. Can’t count how many hard hats i lost over the side during mooring, aboard ship or on the dock. Had to wear a Safety Vest at all times which was a real pain in the Gulf or Red Sea — sweat like heck. As for safety harness, since used by others of different size than myself — took seemingly forever to put on and adjust — could have had the job done already. Got bollocked for not using the Hook at each reach when going aloft — tiring having to hold on while hooking and unhooking.
    Also, we used to ‘Take Care’ of errant crew members who messed up ones gear or personnel effects. Now both parties are sent home and have to face a US Coast Guard inquiry and be out of work until it has been completed.
    The Old Man used to make the decision and rectify the situation by Loging or stopping draw or shore leave.
    In my day it wasn’t uncommon for two guys at logger heads (having a good brawl earlier in the trip) ended up being the best of pals by the time we turned for Home ! Our World is not changing for the better that i can see.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast