Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Letter Writing

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Letter Writing

I was so used to writing and receiving letters in the old days, that when i went back to sailing deep sea in 2007 or so, here in the States, i automatically set myself up with a full writing kit — plenty of paper, air mail envelopes (hard to find but managed) and a stack of pens. I didn’t own a cell phone or any type of computer and didn’t expect to be able to have daily contact with ones home once out at sea. I was a weirdo right from the start, in addition to being ancient !
    My first difficulty was obtaining a list of mail address for Agents at the various ports of call. Seemed like a strange request to the Shipping Co.. Anyway i obtained a listing and gave a copy to my wife of almost 50 years at the time and happily sailed off.
    At sea i found that crew were in touch with home on their computers or phones every day ! Why would you want to do that ? My wife was happy as heck with the thought she had the house to herself and free to do what ever, whenever she wanted — sheer bliss !
    I was happy to spend time thinking and writing a few lines every day or so in order to end up with a decent size letter worth mailing home. She still has every one of them. My problem was getting the Agents to post a letter for me, not knowing how much it would cost and basically paying well over to do so. I soon learned where the local post offices were and bought as varied sample of stamps as possible to decorate the envelope. Had i not done that the post office would have just meter stamp with the amount.
    At my first overseas port i the agent boarded with documents and one letter and a hefty brown envelope/package full of newspapers all from home. That is when it got strange — i suddenly had new “Friends” eager to see the contents of my package and even expecting me to let them read my letters ! They were VERY secretive of their computer screens and even took their computers ashore looking for a bar with Wi Fi access. As for the news paper, after i had read each one i placed it in the Crew Lounge and off watch expected to have conversations about articles. Each time the papers disappeared and not seen for a week or more before showing up in the trash (Rosie) apparently only one person having read it and then discarding it. Really annoyed me.
    Found out who it was and that person had no concept of sharing an outdated newspaper.
    May as well enjoin that in my opinion, the advent of single cabin occupants has killed off the close, lifelong friendships we used to make at sea. No real opportunity to get to know a person — it also didn't help that on the same size, or even larger ships, we only had a crew (including the Old Man) of 20 versus the old 45 or so. Except on the Military ships where we spent a lot of time in remote ports, we were only in a day at the most and sometimes just a few hours. I almost missed a ship when i just slipped ashore to buy postage stamps — Jitney driver dropped me off at the wrong gate, same dock, just a good mile walk(run in that case) past a line of Container ships. Cheers ! Keith Adams. R 570384

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14 I retired in 2002 Keith. And also did All of my correspondence by paper and pen. Apart from sometimes when in range by one of the original mobile phones. It was only after retiring that my wife wanted a computer the same as the neighbours.Today she doesn’t even use so I am the unwilling user of , still light years astern of those who use so efficiently. The only regular correspondence I get are usually people who can’t get me on the phone, and this site , I also hate credit cards and prefer a cheque book , but again the banks are trying to do away with , so soon cash will cease to exist if they get their way. I will not use the computer for bank business , and as am the treasurer for an organisation will pack it inwhen it becomes compulsory . We live in a computerised world of zombies walking around with a phone clagged to their ear and unwilling to look anyone in the eye and speak normally, soon any physical eye to eye speech will also be obsolete . Cheers JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2021 at 02:50 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Like you we don't use internet banking, we only have a debit card for when the bank is closed, or maybe some shopping, our bank shut down and moved to Canberra four years ago it has taken the Covid for us to decide we will change banks, but still have to do it, the lockdown now lifted we will have to move on it. They do say that cheques are going to go, not that we have used any lately, we now use the post office for all bill paying.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI guys, Seems like it is just we stoggie old farts responding to this thread !
    Actually, i think our suspicion and cautious approach to these new money handling systems is well founded and I don’t intend to give in anytime soon. Some of my bills are now arriving without return addressed envelopes apparently in a bid to have me accept some form of electronic payment. I do have direct deposit with our local Credit Union who are far better than any bank i ever did business with. Have just agreed to have services that have a regular known monthly fee be paid through my credit card, which will be a help should otherwise miss payment due to accident or illness. I do see the good in that but it worries me just the same.
    Anyway, we are supposed to be discussing seagoing letter writing ….
    When as a Cadet (Apprentice) on the “CUSCO” the ship was Adopted by Wellington Girls High School in Flint, North Wales. The Old Man was hot on that stuff and insisted we Cadets write a letter to the school, which we did.
    Needless to say we we were inundated with letters which were all semi serious geography related at first but by the end of the first trip and the Old Man reducing the vetting of content in both directions. This must also have happened at the school also as they became quite racey and revealing as the girls began telling on each other.
    It didn’t help that the Old Man had enclosed some snap shots of we Cadets in his official letter. Even received one letter that slipped through requesting i visit the school. Not sure if it was a compliment, as the student added“ Even a dog would be welcome” the girls were Seniors and therefore 15 and a few 16 !
    Anyway, i lived just across the Mersey in Wallasey at the time and PSNC had a habit of calling me off leave anytime they needed a Cadet even if for just a day. I was so ordered and told to wear full uniform and report to the “CUZCO” for news report/photo. No other detail. Turns out a bus load of Wellington Girls High School were making a visit — they were quite respectful at first but it didn't take long after the luncheon for things to get out of hand after the Officers, Deck, Engine and Sparks were keeping the few chaperones busy that the girls realized that there was live bait to be had, and the chase was on. Since they were all Jail Bait i had no desire to become involved. Had a few close shaves but made it okay but i bet the letters to the ship were well embellished after that.
    Although there was a big push to have ships adopted i never sailed on any other being so.
    Keith Adams. R 570384

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as one old fart to another LOL , for me well i have been doing all my Banking online now for quite a few Years, and i find it far better now than before when having to always carry cash!
    Feel a lot safer as well, mind you that does mean to say nothing can happen.
    But all my Bills , Shopping etc is now so much easier.
    One thing though i always check my balance online after i have done any transactions!
    Dont think i would now have it any other way, but again thats just this old Fart!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like you Vernon I am a collection of cash, net bank and direct debit.
    The direct means no late payment and with most utilities a small discount for paying on time.
    Use the debit card where ever I can, but still use cash for some purchases such as at the hot bread kitchen produce merchant and petrol.
    Terri is still a cash lady but does user her credit card, she has her own and pays for her own mobile.

But the push for a cashless society is fast approaching, banks will no longer allow you to open a cheque account unless for business, though most supermarkets if you pay by card will also allow you to draw money at the same time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 The ship I was on was adopted by a well known school on the Tyne and I kept in correspondence with a girl .when I finished my time , she was very good , and used to buy me cigarettes and pay me. Into the movies etc. I was hard up. And up. For 2 mates , one of the few things I am ashamed of In my life I broke the relationship off , as was experiencing true freedom after 4 years of serfdom . She was a lovely girl and worked in a bank by this time .I have always felt a real heel the way I broke it off , was a selfish way I did it , I hope she got over it quickly and went on to have a better life than what I was prepared to give her .JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2021 at 02:04 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello JS. I really identify with being up for 2nd mates and being dropped from the Dole half way through the 3 month Crash Course. Couldn’t get an extension even though it was obvious i would become a big contributor to the Tax Man after i resumed my sea career. I really envied the ex Shell Cadets as they continued to receive pay throughout.
    During my PSNC Exit Interview, i was prevailed upon to return with my 2nd Mates Ticket and also to go for RNR status — they apparently had a thing about flying a Blue Ensign ! Anyway, i had entered the Course a month late and needed all of it under my belt before i felt confident to sit, but there was a month or more school break to wait through. I dutifully attended PSNC for an Uncertified 3rd Mate job and was told they would only take me on as Stand By Cadet !
    Liverpool Nautical only granted 3 months Sea Time Remission to the top half of their Cadet Course Class. Being in the Lower half , i didn't receive same and ended up doing four full years as a Cadet with PSNC — I basically told them what to do with it and got myself a labor job at Morgan Refractories in Neston, Wirral (River Deeside).
    My new employer were concerned that I wouldn’t be able to handle , in their eyes, the tough and hard labor. Heck, it was the easiest work i had had in four years and with nights and weekends off too ! Just throwing reject Fire Bricks into a crusher for the most part. You guys wont believe this but for my first assignment I was told to report to “The Bagging Off Machine” to machine stitch up bags of Fire Brick Cement. Of course i refused to fall for that one and just laughed and said “Pull the other one “. They got a little agitated so i thought i may as well get the joke out of the way and off i went. They actually had such a machine and adjacent stitching set up ! The guys couldn’t understand why i kept laughing each time I thought about what i was doing and getting paid for it.
    Another thing — it was only after i went back to sea a couple of years later with my 1st Mates Ticket that I earned as much in a month as i did working as a laborer ashore in Neston.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember the 12 weeks dole . Think we got 30 pounds severance pay on satisfactory completion of indentures so that was it money wise. Dole was 30 bob and school fees a pound a week so not much to live the high life. And like the cat that found the cream had 3 girlfriends who were unaware of each other ,so never had any money. Like most who went away at 16 our etiquette towards females was based on our knowledge of the fairer sex which was usually harlots from the dockside pubs, so I learned that my attitude was unacceptable to most decent girls , so made myself scarce very bald faced by simply saying goodbye. That severance pay looking at my indentures today was only 5 pound when I started so must have been a windfall when I got. I seem to recollect that some failed their signals on purpose to get the extra time ashore to resit , so some dole offices must have paid up and some not. The term bag off , means different things to different people but doubt there is no seaman who isn’t aware of its meaning. We speak a different language in most cases . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 27th September 2021 at 12:44 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Writing letters in those days was the only means of communication, but it was fun as well.
    Waiting on arrival ion some port to see if you had mail, maybe one from home, or a girl friend.
    And of course the dreaded Dear John, did get a couple but one did me a favor with that.

As to money, got by most of the time with the occasional sub, but once home the stuff vanished for some reason at a much faster rate than when at sea or in port.
    May have been due to the English beers.

Over the years I have collected numerous amounts of unused money.
    Change money in places and there will always be a bit left over but not worth changing back.
    I have a wallet full, worth about $20 the lot from Thailand, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, Denmark, Spain before the Euro, Vietnam, USA, UK, just 1 Pound note, Ireland and France before Euro, Fiji, Norway, Sweden, Greek Dracma, and 1 from Jersey when they had their own currency back in the 60's./
    Also about 50 coins, KI have drilled a hole in each and put on a ring, may come in handy in some comfort stations, buggers charge in some just for a leak.

Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast