Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ww2 medals

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ww2 medals

Thanks Thomas That has been apparent for some time now. Best just to ignore as always. They usually come in threes.judging by the articulation out of the trees . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 19th October 2022 at 09:29 PM.
    R575129

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think John Sabourn is one of the most senior and respected member here, and am sure he is quite capable of rising above this sort of absolute rubbish.
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks very much for this information Hugh. Does this mean that I should apply to DNA at Portsmouth to ask whether his medals were ever claimed? Or is it the Maritime and Coastguard Agency at Cardiff who would have this information? Were the medals ever sent automatically to next of kin or did the family have to apply for them? Those who were around at the time are no longer with us! Thanks again, Audrey

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Hugh, I've just replied to you in the wrong spot. It's #48. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm afraid I'm not too good at this! My reply is at post 48 Hugh. Cheers, Audrey

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John S
    No R510868
    My father served in the MN in the first war my brother in the second, I don't know what medals my father got, neither do I know my if my brother Roy ever picked up his, but I doubt it as he jumped in NZ in 47, what difference does it make to me? I'm proud they both served in the MN in two wars it's enough to be proud of.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des
    Just asking mate, but is that your Number you Quote on the POST!??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#49. As said Des most families like to keep as a reference to the past for future generations and those that do family trees. A few months ago a person I know who held the Queens medal for gallantry sold his for 3,700 pounds which I thought was very sad as he has 3 children who in years to come would have appreciated. However as believe he said to newspapers they all went on holiday instead. A friend that I knew for a number of years and was a crew member on a ship. Not too far back believe he sold
    his George medal for a pint , I traced this back to the Aberdeen museum to find his whereabouts and to see if he wanted help .They said he was dead . Marian when she was on site traced him for me and he had died years ago at the ripe old age of 49. Medals mean different things to different people . The article trying to make tales up about disrespect , I’m just pleased I sailed with proper seamen and not his likes . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is surely a blessing for all of us that 'seanmac' has only posted 37 times since 2008

Why on earth would anyone want to keep their Dis A number secret.

I believe that medals should only be worn by those people who have earned them, anyone else wearing them is trying to bask in the glory of what the recipient did.

Lets say I would rather follow in the footsteps of JS rather than those of seanmac, who ever he may be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Audrey Young View Post
    Thanks very much for this information Hugh. Does this mean that I should apply to DNA at Portsmouth to ask whether his medals were ever claimed? Or is it the Maritime and Coastguard Agency at Cardiff who would have this information? Were the medals ever sent automatically to next of kin or did the family have to apply for them? Those who were around at the time are no longer with us! Thanks again, Audrey

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry Hugh, I've just replied to you in the wrong spot. It's #48. Thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm afraid I'm not too good at this! My reply is at post 48 Hugh. Cheers, Audrey
    Hi Audrey,

I would advise that you contact the Maritime & Coastguard Agency at Cardiff and quote his medal entitlement number on the far right of his file which is, 116297. They will advise you if they can issue the medals or not. Let us know how you get on.

Some ribbons were issued to seamen early in the war but the actual medals still had to be minted. Merchant seaman had to apply for them. No application = no medals. My father never claimed his medals but I claimed them many years ago now. He was never interested in medals - just happy to have survived but we, his family, cherish them. If the seaman passed away then it had to be his next of kin who make the application.
    Doc said
    I notice at the NA that a pouch on him says Empty ??? Wonder why!??
    Good Hunting
    It means that his seaman's pouch is actually empty i.e., there is an envelope (RS3) but no contents. It happens sometimes but I doubt anyone will know why it is empty. Pouches and other records can easily be misfiled by human error and some records have just gone missing.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    for ribbons cappy i think i’ve had 2 uniforms in 50 years and each time measured up and woods in north shields was always asked what ribbons i wanted . Any naval outfitter of years ago carried the full stock. Cheers js
    well john i think you had three uniforms .....two from woods in north shields ......and that one you were wearing in the happy palace bar in osaka...while i was entertained by the beutiful michico .....lol cappy r683532

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sadjico was his younger sister in Kawasaki. Michico was her brother Michael in Osaka. My uniform was a kimono adorned with the rising sun. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th October 2022 at 10:04 AM.
    R575129

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast