Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Ww2 medals

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ww2 medals

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    sadjico was his younger sister in kawasaki. Michico was her brother michael in osaka. My uniform was a kimono adorned with the rising sun. Js
    lol well the kimono was not the only thing rising in that pleasure house....regards cappy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    It is surely a blessing for all of us that 'seanmac' has only posted 37 times since 2008

Why on earth would anyone want to keep their Dis A number secret.

I believe that medals should only be worn by those people who have earned them, anyone else wearing them is trying to bask in the glory of what the recipient did.

Lets say I would rather follow in the footsteps of JS rather than those of seanmac, who ever he may be.
    WELL IAN THERE WAS MANY WHO WANTED TO KEEP THERE DISCHARGE A SECRET LOL R683532 CAPPY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes the hairs on the back of my neck ? JS
    Ps and that was before the wax treatment.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th October 2022 at 11:11 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#52 maybe he will go back to bed Ivan and fulfill his role as a sleeper. Maybe if he is shy about his Dis A number he might like to put his NHI number in its place. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th October 2022 at 10:58 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Following was from ex Member Keith at Tregenna

Closest I found earlier was:

? Gill

United Kingdom, Merchant Navy Seamen Records, 1835-1941

Event Type:
    Military Service
    Name:
    ? Gill
    Event Place:
    United Kingdom
    Birth Year:

Touch wood the team may find more.

Thanks. I did have a try using similar but as posted earlier conflict of d.o.b (1909/1908), also ‘pouch is empty’ message from Kew.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th October 2022 at 08:32 PM.
    R635733

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For John Gill,

The pouch in BT 390/44/43 that is empty is his T124X service record. He must have served on at least one ship that was requisitioned by the Admiralty for war service and the crew all signed on as Naval Auxiliary Personnel (NAP).

The other pouch for him held at Kew in BT 391/38/59 is a Combined Office Merchant Navy Operations (COMNO) pouch. This pouch will hold information of service on any ship(s) that he served on at Normandy, 1944 and beyond so he may be entitled to the France & Germany Star or a Clasp for that medal if he was awarded the Atlantic Star first. Vice-versa, if he was awarded the France & Germany Star first then he would get the Clasp for the Atlantic Star. Hope that makes sense.

Just because there is no medal file showing online doesn’t mean that Cardiff are not aware of his medal entitlement. So, it is always worth checking with them anyway. But if they say they have an unclaimed entitlement then you should not need to prove any of his service. It would only be if Cardiff have no record of the entitlement that you would need to obtain all his records. The only exception to this that I can see would be the Arctic Star which was a separate award. But really Cardiff should tell you what they have and what you need to do. Of course, you would also need to be his next of kin and supply a copy of his death certificate.

Vernon in his (#3) now not #7 has detailed his CRS10 file reference which of course is a valuable record of his service from Jan, 1941 until leaving the service and it would need to be obtained for proof of his service if there was no medal entitlement held at Cardiff but I think you are saying that Cardiff do have a note of his unclaimed entitlement so proof of service again not necessary. I don’t agree fully with Vernon’s #8 that the CRS 10 will show if he was awarded medals. If anything, there may be mention of the ribbon only for 1939-45 Star. All medals were not issued automatically but needed to be claimed.

I think I have him in 1947 aboard the British registered TORTUGUERO. Engaged as Bosun on 21.4.1947 in London. Also, aboard REGENT PANTHER signed on as Bosun on 10.7.1950, Tyne.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th October 2022 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Change of post Number due to database change
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    seanmac Guest

I notice that your insults by you a n your forum friends come in threes LOL

seanmac Guest

He has a self-admitted anger management problem therefore he can never rise above his abusive posts. I for one cannot respect this angry man

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t agree fully with Vernon’s #8 that the CRS 10 will show if he was awarded medals.

Did think that possible there may be Medal Listing in the Cr10 and CRS10 Docs, but could be wrong? Possibly someone on here may have a CRS10 and can check, this is just for reference sake and later use!
    Thank You for bringing this to mind Hugh!
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    For John Gill,

The pouch in BT 390/44/43 that is empty is his T124X service record. He must have served on at least one ship that was requisitioned by the Admiralty for war service and the crew all signed on as Naval Auxiliary Personnel (NAP).

The other pouch for him held at Kew in BT 391/38/59 is a Combined Office Merchant Navy Operations (COMNO) pouch. This pouch will hold information of service on any ship(s) that he served on at Normandy, 1944 and beyond so he may be entitled to the France & Germany Star or a Clasp for that medal if he was awarded the Atlantic Star first. Vice-versa, if he was awarded the France & Germany Star first then he would get the Clasp for the Atlantic Star. Hope that makes sense.

Just because there is no medal file showing online doesn’t mean that Cardiff are not aware of his medal entitlement. So, it is always worth checking with them anyway. But if they say they have an unclaimed entitlement then you should not need to prove any of his service. It would only be if Cardiff have no record of the entitlement that you would need to obtain all his records. The only exception to this that I can see would be the Arctic Star which was a separate award. But really Cardiff should tell you what they have and what you need to do. Of course, you would also need to be his next of kin and supply a copy of his death certificate.

Vernon in his (#3) now not #7 has detailed his CRS10 file reference which of course is a valuable record of his service from Jan, 1941 until leaving the service and it would need to be obtained for proof of his service if there was no medal entitlement held at Cardiff but I think you are saying that Cardiff do have a note of his unclaimed entitlement so proof of service again not necessary. I don’t agree fully with Vernon’s #8 that the CRS 10 will show if he was awarded medals. If anything, there may be mention of the ribbon only for 1939-45 Star. All medals were not issued automatically but needed to be claimed.

I think I have him in 1947 aboard the British registered TORTUGUERO. Engaged as Bosun on 21.4.1947 in London. Also, aboard REGENT PANTHER signed on as Bosun on 10.7.1950, Tyne.
    Regards
    Hugh
    Thank you for that info Hugh. I do recall a picture on display at home of the Tortugeuro, all white vessel, i think it was one of Fyffes. He sailed aboard a lot of Regent tankers. I only have his last discharge book with the final entry Sydney Bridge, and flew home dbs after heart attack. After reading your post i shall resume my endeavours to claim my fathers entitlement, which, as i've previously been informed of lie gathering dust in a Cardiff filing cabinet.
    Gilly
    R635733

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon, Re #58.
    CR 10 cards were issued between 1918 and 1921 they never show medal information.
    I have lost count of the number of CRS10 forms I have seen and have a lot in my possession as a result of research work. I know some medal ribbons were issued to seamen and recorded but never actual medals as they had to be minted first. If medals were noted on the CRS 10 then there would be no need to apply for them but we know that all seamen had to claim their medals after the war. I hope that makes sense.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 20th October 2022 at 09:55 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast