Thread: The media and shipping reports.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The media and shipping reports.

Some may wonder why I sometimes show an extreme reluctance to show belief of the media when it comes to shipping reports . I have already given various examples . A third one for anyone going through newspaper reports should keep their eyes open for a report by the Daily Express between if remember correctly Jan/June 1972 of the attempted murder of. Captain Hort of the m.v. Rosewood
    Off. No.341099 GRT 14999.54. I was at the scene of this fracas and have recorded it on here. Compare that with the story put out on the front pages of the tabloid in question. I remember the miscreant very well but would be unjust to put on here as does not deserve the publicity as having paid the penalty small as it was. Another report on the mv Brocklemoor many years before this , which I don’t know too much about only that it was a heap of codswallop. Our esteemed media are at times very sparing with the truth , but are always quick to shout foul if it impedes on their freedom of the press , which is a laugh to many of us. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The media and shipping reports.

Ps the paper was the Daily Express. JS
    R575129

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, in war the truth is the fist casualty, so it is with so many stories in the media.
    Often it is just their concept of what occurred, not the truth.

One only has to watch the media when interviewing ministers during the pandemic.
    Most questions are just repeats of similar the other day and when you read them in the media you wonder where they came from.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, if we go to WTO and scrap the trade deal, and the NI protocol, that means that fishing is back on the table big time, Froggies would be incensed by that. kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Daftest headline was in the SUN in November 1979.
    On the evening of 5 November 1979, I was on watch taking a tanker up the Channel to the North Sea. ahead of me around 3/4 miles away I saw a vessel swing from side to side so I called him on VHF with a flash on the Aldis to make sure he knew it was me taking. He told me head had a lot of problems with his steering, so I told him to carry on and I would go to the South of him and give him a wide berth.
    No problem,
    It was the POOL FISHER.and this was 11pm, He passed to the north of me by half a mile
    I could see he was down by the head and his prop and rudder were half out of the water.
    I called him and told him, He said he would be OK and carry on.

SIX Hours later at 5am he capsized and sank with the loss of 13 lives.. I was 100 miles away by then ,

The Headline in the SUN.
    "SHIP CAPSIZES AFTER NEAR COLLISION WITH TANKER
    "
    What kind of a picture does that conjour up? when I was 100 miles away
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 6th August 2021 at 02:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian you cant kick against the pricks, but you can publicise it and make them uncomfortable , one thing they dont like is to come under scrutiny themselves , as mars their believability which I certainly lost a long time ago. Every news reader one seems to see today their job description seems to have changed and apart from reading what is in front of them in a neutral tone, seems to take it upon themselves to give their own version, which they are not competent enough to do with any authenticity especially with some of their I.Q. ratings. The recent Canal blockage where one so called journalist persistently called the offending vessel a tanker proves a point in fact. Did he ever apologise for his gross stupidity ? Cheers JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a show on TV here Would you like to e a millionaire, we get many people who, when asked, say they are doing Media studies, then when asked a question that a 10 year old schoolboy would now either pass or stuff up, I'm far from being a brain box my schooling was practically none existent, but these people who write for the news agency's really stun me with their ignorance .
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is not just the stupidity of what they say but also the manner in which they say it.
    You would think it was a drama at the local theater the way some come across.
    But when you see the same item on three channels and all are different in their reading of it shows just how inconsistent and stupid moist of the news broadcasts are.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post