Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Knot-tying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Knot-tying

The fastest recorded time to tie 6 knots ( square knot, sheet bend, sheep shank, clove hitch, round turn and two half hitches, and bowline ) was 8.1 seconds in 1977 by Clinton R. Bailey Snr. of Oregon USA. They were all done on individual ropes. Anyone know of any advance on this ? I dont know what they mean by square knot unless it is a reef knot and the US vernacular for such. JS
    PS it takes me longer than 8 seconds to tie my tie even when it’s on a piece of elastic. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2021 at 05:38 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knot-tying

Now John, still wearing a tie??

Last worn by me on December 3 1997 on last day at the UNi.
    Got rid of all apart from MN one and I had 35 at one time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2. ahhhh ! But John you see I do a lot of socializing at the old layabouts clubs. And entry would be barred without a tie , however they don’t say anything about a shirt so maybe able to sign you in if you are a member. Took you a long time to get that degree in pub management didn’t it ? Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2021 at 07:34 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I take it your referring to BENDS AND HITCHES, And yes your correct the American version of a reef knot is a square knot Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could not get into the La Strada nightclub in shields if you were not wearing a tie, the doorman had a few manky old ones one of which he would loan you in order to allow you in, cost you an extra quid on the entrance fee, nice little earner for him as you had to hand it back when you left.
    What that has to do with nots and bends I have no idea, just thought I would mention it. LOL.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wink Re: Knot-tying

Terry #4. Absolutely correct there Terry.I never knew about the Square knot name,but I certainly have always called 'knots' Hitches-couldn't bring myself to call 'em Bends-guess there might have been an unsavoury idea,or three,lurking in that cavernous ragbag of a mind of mine,but anyway ,our seamanship instructor at college,think he was an ex-Bosun from Blueys who had 'climbed up the hawsepipe'-there were quite a few who had gained their mates' tickets that way-well,he impressed upon we naive cadets to NEVER,but never,call them knots. "A knot,laddie,is (a)what a landlubber calls it,and( b a knot can never be undone because it will (c) jam." So Hitches it was,and for me still is today,only he always pronounced it 'Itches,being a southerner.I doubt whether his snooty neighbours on the Wirral were impressed either if he pronounced their town'Eswall.
    I would say only three hitches have been of use and used throughout my life;- the Reef Hitch-don't call it a Knot-and the Bowline,and the Clove Hitch.Others will probably say others such as the Hangman's Noose,to perhaps threaten their Shore Bosun with when she becomes really annoying.Cadet Captain Les B Ann.gif
    Sheepshanks don't really interest me,not being from South Wales or New Zealand,and being allergic to rubber Wellies(!)
    I've probably, quite unknowingly of course, done many a Rolling Hitch and Round Turn and Two Half Hitches coming home from the 'Jolly Sailor' after a good night out...
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 2nd July 2021 at 12:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the most used hitches were the timber hitch , the roundturn and two half hitches , and the 7 year itch. Once you got past the 7 year itch you had it beat . All the other hitches were a piece of marlin or spunyarn whichever you preferred . JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Shaw View Post
    Terry #4. Absolutely correct there Terry.I never knew about the Square knot name,but I certainly have always called 'knots' Hitches-couldn't bring myself to call 'em Bends-guess there might have been an unsavoury idea,or three,lurking in that cavernous ragbag of a mind of mine,but anyway ,our seamanship instructor at college,think he was an ex-Bosun from Blueys who had 'climbed up the hawsepipe'-there were quite a few who had gained their mates' tickets that way-well,he impressed upon we naive cadets to NEVER,but never,call them knots. "A knot,laddie,is (a)what a landlubber calls it,and( b a knot can never be undone because it will (c) jam." So Hitches it was,and for me still is today,only he always pronounced it 'Itches,being a southerner.I doubt whether his snooty neighbours on the Wirral were impressed either if he pronounced their town'Eswall.
    I would say only three hitches have been of use and used throughout my life;- the Reef Hitch-don't call it a Knot-and the Bowline,and the Clove Hitch.Others will probably say others such as the Hangman's Noose,to perhaps threaten their Shore Bosun with when she becomes really annoying.Cadet Captain Les B Ann.gif
    Sheepshanks don't really interest me,not being from South Wales or New Zealand,and being allergic to rubber Wellies(!)
    I've probably, quite unknowingly of course, done many a Rolling Hitch and Round Turn and Two Half Hitches coming home from the 'Jolly Sailor' after a good night out...
    A quick rundown of my interpretation Graham, As you well no in order to get you ticket you had to have a good knowledge of what meant what you could have been asked the uses of any of these Bends or Hitches, I also agree with the sheep shank i never had to put one together ever the only time that was ever really seen was underneath a lifeboat Regards Terry.

Description Remarks Uses
    Bowline Knot The Bowline makes a secure loop in the end of a piece of rope. It can be easily undone with the load off. Fastening to a Mooring Ring or attaching a used on a painting stage or heaving line.
    Figure of 8 Knot Knot Quick and easy Stopper knot that does not bind. Stopper knot to prevent rope from un-reeving through a block or tackle swallow.
    Sheet Bend Bend Easy to tie, and is easily adjustable. Used for temporarily joining two ropes of unequal size. (It works equally well if the ropes are of the same size!)
    Double Sheet Bend Bend Easy to tie and adjustable. Used for joining two ropes of significantly unequal size.
    Reef Knot Bend ! Although the Reef Knot is a Bend it should NOT be used as a Bend, as it can spill apart. Used as a quick efficient fix joining two lengths of rope together..
    Round Turn & 2 Half Hitches Hitch Easy to tie and undo after use Fastening to ring or stanchion with a right angled load.
    Fisherman's Knot Bend ! These can be single (2 x overhand knots) or double (2 x double overhand knots - Better) Used to connect 2 lengths of similar size rope
    Fisherman's Bend Hitch ! Similar to the Round Turn and two half Hitches, but the first half hitch being through the round turns. Used to secure a rope to a number of objects found on deck.
    Rolling Hitch Hitch Easy to tie and adjust, constrict as load is applied. Used for tying a rope around a pole or onto another rope with a sideways load.
    Clove Hitch Hitch Easy to tie and undo when the load is off. Used to secure a load with a vertical pull.
    Timber Hitch Hitch Easy to tie and undo, constricts as more load is applied. Used in conjunction with a half hitch for pulling or lifting a light load, eg a plank.
    Monkeys Fist Knot Relatively simple knot Used to weight the end of a rope for use as a Heaving Line
    Turks Head Knot This is mainly Decorative Ropework Used on poles, tillers and wheels, can also be used to strengthen cracked poles i wont go into working aloft with Lizards Gantlines Bosuns Chair or Painting Stages after a few attempts they came natural although you had been learnt how to make them fast. I would be here all night.

Happy Days Graham Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I seem to recollect there was at times whether local laws or not can’t remember but the use of a monkeys fist on the end of a heaving line was unacceptable and the BOT heaving line Knot was insisted on.We have professional safety officers on site now and they may have other views on this. I know it was the practice to use a weighted monkeys fist and think that was definetley not acceptable in a lot of ports. Maybe the wearing of hard hats to all and sundry may have had some application to a lot of rules today. Most laws in any case applied to the US and European countries , anywhere else most laws were made as you went along . For example out East the end of a heaving line was usually a small canvas sandbag . Terry you wouldn’t be able to dips your monkeys fist into the Red Lead today as it doesnt exist anymore on ships. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2021 at 01:40 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J,S, Another practice that is probably not needed aboard modern ships although would still be used aboard older ships still at sea, The rope and chain stopper i imagine with todays modern ships fitted with tension winches 'the mooring lines are probably a permanent fix on the winch and never removed, Unlike the turns on the drum end we where used to. I did see many stoppers part, Another day another dollar Regards John Terry.
    {terry scouse}

11. Thanks Steve Neale thanked for this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast