Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Knot-tying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knot-tying

Monkey fist, interesting concept as i saw one at the local Zoo.
    He kept pushing it between the bars of his cage, no doubt trying to land a blow.

But I kept well away, the ice cream was too good for him.

Then there was the poor old sailor trying to get his leg over for one last time.
    The god lady after him asking said you are doing three knots, not hard, not in and not getting your money back.

Not a lot more I can say about that knotty problem
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I.don't see any.mention.of.the Dolly Knot.
    This was a knot used by truck drivers when roping and sheeting their heavy loads.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That sounds like the Shakespeare knot Fouro, to be or knot to be . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#20 We used to have ropes hanging down from the pre sea school I went to Des but these were for climbing up. You’ve got me thinking now. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd July 2021 at 07:32 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    When I was in the Vindi Sea school, all the rope ends used to teach knots hung down from a long line, I wonder if the bloke that tied all those knots used this method, as picking up and tying would use up time. I never ever put a bolt in the Turks head on a heaving line.
    I have used a sandbag on a heaving line but can't remember where, maybe the NZ coast.
    Des
    Yes Des, I would agree, In fact i would say its impossible to put them all together in that time, Terry.p.s. Know one has mentioned the good old Spanish Windless, But i would have money on each and everyone of us putting one together against the rules maybe affective certainly Terry.
    {terry scouse}

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #19
    good afternoon,referring back to our knotty or nutty problem, i would certainly take umbrage with any seaman whom lashed himself to any piece of dunnage or other mode of transport by using a running bow-line, but i can assure that a round turn and two half hitches will not run and tighten, you may dispute my statement but a can assure you that whilst finishing the decorating of the walls in my hall today i re-tested my much proven point, and i tied a line around my waist with two half hitches and tied the bitter end to the top of the steps and stepped off the lower step and proving once and for all that it will be a safe proceedure if necessary, and once i had cleaned up the mess of the emulsion going everywhere and taken two ibuprofen and two paracetamol for my twisted knee i felt better.
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Now if you had put the round turn around your neck you wouldn’t of finished with a twisted knee. Also as said a fishermans bend or friend would have been a lot more safe for such dangerous work. I hope the insurance at least pay for the paracetamol and hope you get the mess cleaned up before your wife gets home , or you might finish up with two busted knees apart from other damages. I hope any safety officers reading this can see how self destructive and non fearful of self harm you might be and take into account your insistence that you will do things your way and you usually put that record on when working , I did it my way , by old blue eyes himself. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #27
    your unconstrained and selfless attention to others safety,and in trying to make the individual take more care weighs heavy on my shoulders, for if i had listened dutifully to your advice i would most likely have avoided the the nasty twist to my knee as i slipped on the spilt emulsion, caused by my stepping off my steps in such a manner to prove my point,and been still hanging in the hall for my wife to find on her arrival home come monday afternoon, and which on a good day im sure she may pray for, but at the moment i have to decorate the lounge and the dining room,
    so that outcome can be put on hold.
    as for the fishermans friend cappy knew a girl from shields whom was always sucking them, and he said they didnt do her any harm,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappys friend was also. Friend of all the fishermen on North Shields fish Quay was what I heard also , so there must be some truth in the story. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 3rd July 2021 at 01:28 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting "thread". Do any of you deck lads still have a copy of REED'S NAUTICAL ALMANAC my copy1977. pages 843-853. Rope and It's Use At Sea. Types of knots and their uses, splicing and rope whippings (nothing Kinky) also types of rope and glossary of cordage and ropes, a lot of reading.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast