Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Knot-tying

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Knot-tying

hi john sabourn #7
    good afternoon, what about the slippery hitch, the american cowboy when robbing the odd bank or indeed horse riders of all persuasion are familiar because of its easiness to tie and slip, but cappy always tends to use the foot or hoof clamp on his donkey, but thats another story.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 2nd July 2021 at 02:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No stoppers were still there Ted when I left. Tension winches I only ever saw if you were lucky enough to have was going up the seaway at Niagara Falls saved a lot of money on parting wires trying to do it manually. Much as people think there are still much Tonnage of the old type out there the trouble is one has to change your thinking all the time going from ship to ship. There is no such thing as know one ship know them all anymore. The modern seafarer doesn’t even have to use a heaving line today , he expects to hand the eye to the bloke on the Quay. Seamen today are put into categories on what ships they have experience on . Not like yesterday . That was one of the big differences when I came out here to Australia they still worked on the old principle if you were a seaman you did know it all and they paid appropriately. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2021 at 02:15 PM. Reason: R
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11.. Thomas you always come on the air just as I”m going to bed , reminds me of during the blitz when my mother used to say come on now bedtime, but I knew William Joyce was due to come on the wireless and they didn’t want me to hear it. Those American cowboys were very effeminate and used to tie their horses up with a bow , like they would of done if they had had their hair in a bow, but didn’t want people to know they were gay. Cappy used to utilise his bike foot clamps for the milkman’s horse or his donkey, this had the added stimulus to the donkey or horse whichever he used on that they smelt the other and Cappy used to ride high in the saddle. If the same happened today he could pretend he was the Lone Ranger as would be wearing his Covus mask. Poor old Tonto wasn’t even in it and had his name changed to Inuit. Cheers I’m halfway to bed as the wife is dragging me there , is your missus home yet ? Night night watch the bugs don’t bite .Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn #13
    good afternoon, what a shame your mother chased you to bed before that nice mr joyce could tell you a bed time story of bombing factories and killing the innocent citizens of this country.if your mother had let you listen you may have developed into a much rounded person,and not always see the bad in people.just like those american cowboys, being gay, as it takes a twisted logic to instantly believe that rex or tex the gay cowboy whom wears a pink ribbon bow is actually trex the tongue tied cowgirl who last birthday present was a wee willy winkle brush,
    but to cast aspersions and say cappy wilst dressed as the lone ranger and was actually guilty of slipping his donkey or the milkmans horse a extra length is not only libels but breeches all common decency , and as you are off to your bed i shall seek redress for cappy another time.
    as for the wife she is still in torqay and will not be back until monday,
    tom
    ps
    i have a photograph somewhere from when i was kid.
    i had a dead cat on my head i thought i looked like davey crocket,and i think cappy was trying to recruit me into his bandidos,
    i think the cat had been dead for a week,ive never liked cats or cat piss since

5. Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry #18 Good Descriptions,and what memories!..Used timber hitches for removing all that dunnage from holds with deck crew in port on many a trip-up and down into tween decks and lower holds without a second thought-couldn't see me doing it now-think you lose a bit of nerve as you age ! Same with climbing the foremast at sea to change the bulb,when Leckie says he's hurt his leg, when really he's s**t scared of heights,and the deck crew are busy battening down the deep tanks,so could the cadet do it-after all cadets are indispensible..... , Bowlines-if you put one round you always tie your own we're taught,just in case... ! making Monkey's fists for ends of heaving lines. I spent many an afternoon at sea between watches doing a bit of work in the lifeboats, replacing and splicing lanyards on all the equipment-and getting a bronzey,heh,heh !
    Yes,it all comes back. Every seafarer was issued with the Code of Safe Working Practice at Sea.Now that was a good read(!)-showed you what you really should be wearing and doing and not doing-I suppose it was a bit like the Highway Code-read and learn it,then once test passed learn how to properly drive!
    I imagine it's so different now..... Wouldn't be half as much fun either! We used to do everything,work hard,play hard. Great.Nothing can compare! But then all of us know that.
    Cheers now.
    Last edited by Graham Shaw; 2nd July 2021 at 03:47 PM.

7. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi graham shaw #6
    good afternoon, the bow-line knot is considered one of the strongest, But only when under load and if you have a decent tail on the bitter end, ( as i have seen quite a few come un-done, )
    silly as it sounds if i put a line on myself for anything dangerous i make sure it is with a round turn with two half hitches, tom

9. Thanks Graham Shaw thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: Knot-tying

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi graham shaw #6
    good afternoon, the bow-line knot is considered one of the strongest, But only when under load and if you have a decent tail on the bitter end, ( as i have seen quite a few come un-done, )
    silly as it sounds if i put a line on myself for anything dangerous i make sure it is with a round turn with two half hitches, tom
    Yes Tom,that makes sense and I feel sure I did that....I survived!

11. Likes thomas michael, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    You could not get into the La Strada nightclub in shields if you were not wearing a tie, the doorman had a few manky old ones one of which he would loan you in order to allow you in, cost you an extra quid on the entrance fee, nice little earner for him as you had to hand it back when you left.
    What that has to do with nots and bends I have no idea, just thought I would mention it. LOL.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    I got barred from the La Strada in 68, no regrets, the Latino was better

13. Likes Bill Morrison, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16... This rounded person is up once again after a good 5 hours and 45 minutes snoring, but already looking forward to my afternoon siesta in 4 hours or so time, I say afternoon but I sometimes cheat and start earlier. Bearing in mind it was either the mate or the master who died off the Ambassador all those years ago by getting crushed when being towed across to the rescue vessel , i beleive it was because he put a running bowline round himself , and similar could happen with two half hitches , so a fishermans bend or even friend may be more appropriate , however it is up to oneself , as in most cases you are responsible for your own well being. I hope Thomas this catches you before you get into the hot bunk. It should be dry by now as the hot water bottle had a leak. Anyhow if still a bit damp will make you think you are back in nautical surroundings . Or maybe that poor dead cat has come back to haunt you. Cheers and nighty night. left the the pink ribbon for you under the donkeys breakfast . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd July 2021 at 11:33 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in the Vindi Sea school, all the rope ends used to teach knots hung down from a long line, I wonder if the bloke that tied all those knots used this method, as picking up and tying would use up time. I never ever put a bolt in the Turks head on a heaving line.
    I have used a sandbag on a heaving line but can't remember where, maybe the NZ coast.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

16. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast