Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Modern Ship design

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Modern Ship design

Reference your link to the "double acting ship" and the Tempera, Doc, I had the pleasure of sailing the ship from the Tees one dark and stormy night.

The first surprise was when my colleague and I entered the accommodation to be greeted by several crew emerging from what looked like a smoke-filled telephone box - apparently this was the smoking room, and I'm sure they would have stood in good stead for an entry in the Guinness Book of World Records for number of people in a confined space!

The bridge itself was like something out of Star Trek compared to the usual standard design (ie cheap) tanker that we would normally see. On being informed that the ship was Azipod driven and a 4000hp (I think) bow thrust, my main concern was that the ship would be able to get some way on once the single tug had backed off from the side where he was holding us against the 40 - 45 knot wind off the berth. The Captain foresaw no difficulties, so having requested the tug to run alongside as far as he could once we were off, we started letting go. So we reach the point of no return, and once the last lines were on board the tug eased off and we went ahead. A bit like a speedboat it was, the bow just lifted and we were off with no fuss whatsoever.

On the way down the channel I asked what ice class the ship was - the Captain informed me that going ahead she was Class 1A Plus but 1A Super when running astern - I didn't ask what thickness of ice that meant! A fantastic ship, but you can see why most shipowners would shudder at the cost.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the Beaveroak, built in 1966 on the Tyne. She had a mairform? Now that enabled her to ride up onto the ice and break it using her weight.
    Later I sailed on the C.P. trader, a camel laird built container ship that had a specially designed bulbous bow designed to go under the ice and break it up.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

The biggest advantage with LNG fuelled ships is the emissions are well below current oil fuelled vessels
    LNG has been used to fuel ships for over 50 years.
    When Purpose built LNG Carriers first appeared , not counting Methane Pioneer she was a conversion. The first were built at Vickers and H&W , Methane Princess and Progress. The boil of Gas (BOG) was used to fuel the boilers and steam turbines.
    Things have now moved on to Dual fuel motor ships. Steam Turbines survive only on older tonnage. Ship size has increased dramatically as well. The Q max ships now carry 267,000 cubic metres of LNG (liquid state).Big increase from the Methane P ships @ 27,500 cubic metres.
    Modern tonnage now have Reliquefaction plants and convert BOG back to a Liquid state, even though the ship will still be powered by LNG. This is achieved by taking LNG liquid and putting it through a heated vaporiser.
    I would imagine a similar technology will be applied on the new build Princess Cruise ships.

The way the industry has changed since I retired I am glad I am out of it.

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, john walker liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3