Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Merchant Navy Records

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Merchant Navy Records

#27 The certificate didn’t change much from 1957 , except what I remember it was from the Minister of Transport and the term was steamship . JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th September 2021 at 03:43 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Merchant Navy Records

Quote Originally Posted by George Runacus View Post
    Wow! Thanks for this Marion. I'd be interested to know where you got the ship information from as I can't make out some of the writing or categories. I have just done a search on the web and found a sailing ship Dunboyne which might ring true. :-D

I only have a transcript of minimum information from the 1939 register. Your screenshot and transcript is more helpful. I love the competency certificate.
    Really interesting and thanks again.
    If the name shows DUNBOYNE ,that might be the iron sailing ship Dunboyne (ON 95311),1,425 tons built 1888 for R.Martin & Co;U.K. In 1915 she was sold to Swedish ownersrenamed G D KENNEDY.then to the Swedish Navy in 1923,renamed A F CHAPMAN.
    She became a museum ship in 1947 in Stockholm and was still afloat ,used as a youth hostel,in 2005(117 years old)

LINK

[The only other DUNBOYNE in registers that I can find is a U.S. cargo ship of 1920 originallycalled Wekika and served variously as a U.S.Govt/merchant vessel.From 1920-1941 she was named Mallemak,only becoming DUNBOYNE in 1941.Scrapped Baltimore 1948.]

4. Thanks George Runacus, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    #27, Apologies George, shoud have replied last night but was too tired when I got home. The certs are from Ancestry & FMP, will clarify when posting further.
    Apologies appreciated but not necessary Marion. (I know the feeling :-( ).
    I've been with Find My Past in the past but presently with MyHeritage. Perhaps I should bite the bullet and look at Ancestry again?? Though I do like MyHeritage's photo editor.

I am also trying to find stuff about my GGrandmother's first husband who was a ship's cook. Charles Henry Lane - Born in Antigua in 1852, Married Hannah Morris, my GGrandmother, in Liverpool 1886. According to now deceased aunt, the family went to The Falklands before 1900 but no further information on Charles Henry Lane. Although Hannah was born in Oswestry in 1861 she lived, and died in Liverpool in 1932.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dont know if this Link would open any Doors , however one must take chances at times ! ??

Search results: | The National Archives

There seems to be Crew Lists for various Years here as well, so another possible avenue

Crew List Index Search Results (mun.ca)

Crew List Index Project Various Years of Crew at MHA

This may be the best bet, for Crew List of the Ship mentioned NATANT Official Number 71019

Official Nos: 70976, 70977, 70979, 70980, 70981, 70982, 70984, 70985, 70986, 70989,... | The National Archives
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 27th September 2021 at 10:22 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you once again Marion. I was aware of Charles Henry's marriage to Hannah. I also know that there are three children attributed to that Marriage: Charles W Lane, Edgar Henry Lane and May Lane (My grandmother and Great Aunt came later to a different father)
    I have photographs of Hannah with her three daughters taken early 1900's and separate pictures of Charles and Edgar as Adults. What intrigues me is that Charles W was born 7 months after his mothers marriage and appears white from the photograph I have while his brother Edgar Henry and sister May appear to be mixed race. I also see that Charles W first marriage (which I wasn't aware of) shows him as white. A family story is that Charles W and Edgar H went to Canada late 1800's/Early 1900's and eventually settled in Cleveland OH. and New York NY.
    I have some pictures of Hannah but nothing about Charles, Edgar or May.
    There are so many 'Lanes' in the USA I'd be really interested if the Deceased Charles Henry who died in SF is the guy I'm looking for.
    Thanks again Marion.

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast