Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: 23rd April

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 23rd April

Straight from google . A Jack is only to be flown when a ship is at anchor or alongside. The pilot jack gave up the ghost about 1970 . I have just read the same . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I think we all know that but how many ashore would or even know it is a jack flown from the jack staff.
    Many have no idea of what the English flag is made up of, history not being taught at school as in our days.
    Bit like geography, pity as if it were no was taught they might find out where Mary came from and tell cappy.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The old saying a little knowledge is a dangerous thing , and this is quite obvious when you see people talking outside of their own work experience and quote others who are also talking mostly from outside their own experiences also. You only have to have read exerts from the recent grounding of the vessel in the canal to realize this, unfortuanetley what was printed in some cases is now there for prosterity and will be accepted as kosher by future generations. When one has to quote someone else to show your own knowledge if it is not from your own actual experience this should be stated. I have seen quite a bit on media outlets that I know not to be true just
    think of all the other stuff that one has to accept as genuine and have no way of checking. Cheers JS
    R575129

Lewis McColl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    John, I think we all know that but how many ashore would or even know it is a jack flown from the jack staff.
    Many have no idea of what the English flag is made up of, history not being taught at school as in our days.
    Bit like geography, pity as if it were no was taught they might find out where Mary came from and tell cappy.
    The English flag made up of the cross of Saint George nothing else.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Lewis, put it this way the Union Jack, as so many like to call it, is made up of others as well including the Cross of St Andy north of the wall.
    But there are some who only know it as the English flag.

But as John S said, put it on Fake book and it automatically becomes the truth and no matter what you say you will not change that.

The generation of today rely more on such as a means of information than any text book, autobiography or any factual documents.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Keith at Tregenna Guest

#63: You called it the English flag.

K.

Lewis McColl Guest

#66 I have never heard anyone refer to the Union Flag as the English flag. Do the Australians or the Kiwi's refer to their flags as the English flag with a bit of blue and a few stars. I have only ever heard of the Union flag as the British flag which is made up from the Cross of Saint Andrew, Saint George & Saint Patrick. Poor old Wales had already been classed as part of England since 1282 so they got lumped into the English cross of Saint George Fleg.

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are a number of countries where the word English flag is used, Thailand and Vietnam are two countries where I have heard the term and like you thought it a bit odd.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7