Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Union fees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Union fees

I was in the Merch in the 60s and paid union fees. Does anyone know what happened to this?

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Union fees

Sorry, but after the news today ?? Are you asking about Union Fees or pension contributions? My understanding was that Union fees were only for membership rights but nothing to do with Pension rights, I may be wrong but!!!! RMT contact details https://www.rmt.org.uk/member-benefi...ip-department/

Looks like Len McCluskey may have a bit of explaining to do!!
    https://news.sky.com/story/unite-bos...entre-12267579
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 7th April 2021 at 04:43 PM.

3. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Union fees were managed for all union members to benefit from, the national seamans union in the 60s of which you ask, not to be confused with later amalgamations, was primarily to have reps in most ports Nationally and internationally to be available as mediator's for shipboard and company disputes concerning manning, wages, and conditions to name but a few.
    A hardship fund was set aside for the obvious. One incident comes to mind when we requested their help back then was to mediate in what constituted ( safety of the ship) Regards R. As a second thought there may have been a pension fund for union officials.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by phil cave View Post
    i was in the merch in the 60s and paid union fees. Does anyone know what happened to this?

well if he was still here you could ask jim slater nus president about his london offices....fancy cars andhis full commitance to the communist party which he personally confirmed to me and what his income for the job was and how much they sat on when the mn was dying .....how much you earning he said ...i said28 quid a month ....he said stick with us i will get you 200 a week ....in 1960 ....well some ratings got 200 eventually the only prob there was no bleedn ships left but all the union bums and stiffsstill kept there jobs .....r683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I worked as a bus driver on London Transport in the early 60's. I think we paid about one and six a week union fees at that time. In 1964 I joined the Merchant Navy and paid six bob a week. It seemed a lot then. I think I was on about £40 a Month plus overtime etc.

Frank.

7. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was it not Two Jags who was at one time involved with the NUS.
    If I recall a lot of the monies collected in union dues went to support the 66 strike.
    But what ever happened I have no doubt it was most likely illegal in the manner.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Bill Cameron, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1966 we were paid £3 a week in strike pay. To receive this payment we picketed the dock gates and our union books were stamped.
    A far more important question should be asked. How much did the shipowners and their shareholders make in excess profits when they dumped British seamen, introduced flags of convenience and foreign registrations to employ seamen from third world countries?

11. Thanks Jack Tilling thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 well Louis I came out here in 1991 and all Australian seamen although different unions were all in the Maritime union of Australia and were guaranteed a cash payout when they retired I have seen ABs paying off with $600,000 after 25 years service , the seaman’s branch were always better than the other branches. A seaman paid 5 % of his salary to the union if he was on the A roster , and in 1991 they were on just under $60,000 a year ,this was for just less than 6 months working year , if he was on the B roster he paid 2% of his salary to be he union , as the B roster was non permanent with a company, however he got 28% loading on top of his salary. But there was nothing went into his pension fund. You can’t compare all unions with the NUS . The conditions out here put the NUS to shame. However I think with a change of government came changes , but I managed to survive for 11 years which I would never have done in the uk. Cheers JS.....

Compare that with 20 pounds a day and 3 days paid leave a month on non union vessels in the North Sea . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th April 2021 at 08:10 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    In 1966 we were paid £3 a week in strike pay. To receive this payment we picketed the dock gates and our union books were stamped.
    A far more important question should be asked. How much did the shipowners and their shareholders make in excess profits when they dumped British seamen, introduced flags of convenience and foreign registrations to employ seamen from third world countries?
    Well good morning louis......with all these supposed profits the shipowners were SUPPOSEDLY MAKING why did they all shut up shop ......did they say OOOH LETS DUMP THIS WONDERFUL GOLDEN GOOSE the answer was seen smacking you on the eye ....the greeks were pushing old bangers the russians in the early 60s every foriegn port the hammer and scycle......the african trade nigerian vessels .....the south africans vessels ....aus there own merchantman at last... kiwi there own merchantmen....and the old avonmooor gone to the chinese ..........sadly louis nobody owes you a living ...and anyone willing to put his money into a project that is not profitable only goes one way.....but how did it come about that ......easy no profit dump it ....show me one union of any size that has not been run by misfits ....and still is there was thousands of jobs lost on tyneside and other ports in shipbuilding etc ...through union strikes ...if there ...was any money in anything it would still be solvent ...nobody dumps a business if it is profitable ......if the unions had there ridicoulos way of working transport in this country would still be by horse and cart.....if people who invest andmake a profit....why would they dump it ........here is a thought why would anyone invest in a company paying perhaps 3 or 8 percent profit to share holders ....when the banks are paying as was when i retired 10 percent on your capital ......the shipowner might as well just put his money in the bank ....or any other business owner for that matter....labouring jobs stated to disappear when the wheel was invented....thats life sadly you were caught up in it ....like the miners the dockworkes ......i remember ten years after i got out as i coldnot live on a seamans wage ........driving on a businnes trip in liverpool past the cammel laird yard there was 6 or seven blokes standing round a fire rubbing there hands blowing on there nails holding a banner ....DEAD CAMEL FOR SALE......what a bunch of losers i thought .....there was jobs needed filling all over the country good wages .....and there they were after causing the camel failure themselves ...... no sympathy from cappy......

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #7 well Louis I came out here in 1991 and all Australian seamen although different unions were all in the Maritime union of Australia and were guaranteed a cash payout when they retired I have seen ABs paying off with $600,000 after 25 years service , the seaman’s branch were always better than the other branches. A seaman paid 5 % of his salary to the union if he was on the A roster , and in 1991 they were on just under $60,000 a year ,this was for just less than 6 months working year , if he was on the B roster he paid 2% of his salary to be he union , as the B roster was non permanent with a company, however he got 28% loading on top of his salary. But there was nothing went into his pension fund. You can’t compare all unions with the NUS . The conditions out here put the NUS to shame. However I think with a change of government came changes , but I managed to survive for 11 years which I would never have done in the uk. Cheers JS.....

Compare that with 20 pounds a day and 3 days paid leave a month on non union vessels in the North Sea . JS
    welll john you saw the light no doubt and got out ......instead of staying here and whinging about the shipowners.....i could not live a married life and keep a wife and kids on what i was being paid......so in a sense my wife took me out of going to sea ....if anyone else did not see the light that is the own choice ......but i would never stay in any job if it was in detriment to my self or family then complain about it just my view cappy

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast