Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Union fees

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Union fees

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    98 percent unionised in oz .......now 12 percent......86 percent saw the light .....keeping a bunch of lazy buggers in overpaid .....underworked ....expense no limit jobs... in ivory towers.....at last the dog sees the rabbit ......
    the tide of change is washing away the old union type method of control ....it is not required.... why should any man have to pay to work ....stand free on your own two legs ....if you are giving a fair days work you will survive ....without subsidy....the only union worth having is family .....regardless of the pollies or unions or anyone else ... ......just my view

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More Millionaires and Billionaires in Aus than ever before, even with the covid, also more people living on the streets and getting wages that we got back in the sixties, reason? No unions to organize and fight for them, they refused to pay union fees, short time gain for long time pain.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

3. Thanks Louis the fly, Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then like the situation in parts of London we have the professional home less.
    One guy was interviewed on TV about it last year.
    He drives from home and sets up his spot in a busy city street with his dog by his side, said he I getting about $1,000 a week this way, much easier than working.

One gut I know told me that as a young lad not long out of school he was told by his father, son there is no need to work hard just get a job with local council or better still some gov department.

As he told me, never really worked as he had a position with the garden department of state gov, only worked on fine days and when the temp went over 28 degrees they had to stop work.

Work hard and become a millionaire, sit on your backside and claim the dole and continue to be a drain on society.
    Why should any tax payer have to fund some of these lazy bludgers?

The dole is not very high for one reason, if too high why would you want to look for work?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, that argument is very valid here in UK, and has been for some time, when they can receive housing allowance, plus umpteen other benefits , and they are then offered a job on minimum wage of £8 odd, they then have the xpense of travel to get to work, and the benefits stop. When i was in the fire service, one of the retained firemen was offered a 6 month contract by the fire authority on full fireman wage, he turned it down, because his benefit would stop, and when the contract finished, he would have to go through the qualifying period again. That guy has not worked for years, but you will find on the benefit system they are still able to run a car etc. When i think back to when my kids were small, and the struggle to run a car, and that was on a full time wage. No wonder they flock here in rubber boats, kt
    R689823

Lewis McColl Guest

Sorry but we can all quote about the guy who picks this up on benefits or gets this amount if he works, no mention on why some decide about why they prefer benefits. Try being on a zero hours contract? no pension rights or being able to afford to pay into a private pension scheme. At least being on state benefits ensures you keep your NIC qualifying years on track. I am sure we are familiar about people in Bolton who have a new Mercedes car that is being provided by state benefits, sorry but that I find hard to believe. No Unions and employers will, walk all over you as can be seen today. The employer tells you it is my way or the highway. Is that the right way to do things? Most of us are from a generation were we could pick and choose jobs at will. If you could not get a job it must have been down to either your own bone idleness or you did not know how to look for a job. I hear about people complaining about the poor working conditions and levels of safety in the North sea and off shore industries, pay scales, I would never have accepted but if that is what floated your boat well that was your fault for putting up with it.
    Yes there is a lot wrong with a lot of Unions but there is a lot more wrong in society that a person has to work 3 different jobs a week because of greedy employers. Yes I accept that a lot of small family run business cannot afford to pay a living wage to those who they employ, so yes it is only right that a person gets income support. Everyone I assume goes into business to make money and if an employer is prepared to invest in their business they should be able to reap the rewards for there efforts, as should those who are also working and contributing towards the success of that business. But if a profitable business decides to move to another country because labour is cheaper and makes UK workers redundant that company should not be allowed to trade again in the UK. Not everyone who decides to become homeless and live rough and beg on the streets do it by choice, a lot of those living rough are ex UK armed forces. There are at least 19 charities/organisations that look out for our ex service personnel, so I assume that means there are 19 CEO's picking up a few quid, why 19 different organisations why not just 1.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 20th April 2021 at 10:04 AM.

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Lewis, most of the foreign companies that have entered the UK do not recognise T.U., and yet those workers receive decent salaries, working conditions, benefits etc.
    The only people who benefit from the Unions are the upper echelons of the the Union.
    McCluskey, berates bosses for their lifestyle, yet the same guy is happy to have champer and exotic meals on the backs of the workers who pay their dues.
    Vic

Lewis McColl Guest

McCluskey is not the norm in the trade union movement, but as the saying goes power corrupts. He will be spending a lot of time trying to keep himself out of the courts, him and his crony Joe Anderson mayor of Liverpool who was suspended by the Labour party last year.
    Foreign companies that have entered the UK do not recognise T.U. Perhaps British companies could take a leaf out of foreign management practices on how to treat the work force, Nissan being one such company have an excellent industrial relationship with the work force, although there may be a few cracks appearing. https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-e...opportunistic/

11. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here in Oz we have a good number of foreign companies all have to pay at least the minimum wage as set in law.
    On the dole you must look for at least five jobs per week and prove you have, easy just get some business cards from companies.

But the majority of companies look after their staff, all are entitled to 9.5% super payments into their super account, four weeks annual leave and between ten and 15 sick days.

But then there are the others like the hairdresser lady my wife's hairdresser offered work to.
    Start Monday she was told, Sunday phones and says no, by the time I pay my transport cost I will only be a bout $40 better off than on the dole. She did not turn up.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, the T.U.s in the UK have never moved with the times, strike first ask questions later is there motto.
    Before you jump in, after WW2, Germany was on the bones of its erse, the TUC was invited to modernise industrial relations in that country.
    The brought out a system which made it very difficult to strike, strikes would only be permitted after months and months of negotiations took place. Strikes became the last rsort.
    Asked if the TUC would implement such a change in the UK- response on your bike or words to that effect.
    Vic
    Vic

14. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If a person cannot afford to work surely the problem is obvious, the wage being offered is not enough to live on.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast