Thread: Liverpool to New Orleans 1948-1963

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Liverpool to New Orleans 1948-1963

I would be very interested and thankful for any recollections from anyone from Liverpool who served in the Merchant Navy during the period of 1948-1963 of stops they made in New Orleans. This is research for a book I'm working on. I know that's going back a good ways, but I'm hoping there is someone still around who can give me their memories are direct me to where I can find accounts from others. Thanks very much.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Liverpool to New Orleans 1948-1963

Steve, although I am not from Liverpool, I did join the Watts Watt ship Greenwich in Rotterdam on the 5th Dec 1955. Our destination was Port Sulphur, just south of new Orleans. while loading our cargo of bulk sulphur we were able to spend time in the city during mardi graw,( wish this lap top had auto spelling). we didn't do much sight seeing as it was one bar to the other, but do remember a group of us being thrown off a bus for sitting in the rear section after we told the driver we were comfortable being there, we made our point. New Orleans is a crazy place to be during these festivals, booze was cheap in those days and a good time was had by all. After loading we headed down to the Panama canal enroute to Australia and new Zealand.
    regards, Stan

3. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Steve .
    Went to Baton Rouge passing through New Orleans, great trip up there all the, in Baton Rouge we had to go across the Mississippi by ferry to the nearest bar where we had a good time until the barman asked us if we were from the tanker across the river, he then told us we had missed the last ferry. He asked a little Mexican bloke if he was going back to Orleans that night he said yes so the boss asked him to give us a lift, which he did on his Ute.long trip but he was good.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in Baton Rouge a bit later than you Des but loading if remember rice. Got talking to a yank ashore and as usual got round to politics, Kennedy was in at the time. Kennedy wasn't too well liked by many in the Southern States I found. Anyhow this blokes outspoken statement to me was, If he ever crosses the Mason Dixie line he won't be going back. JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dad was on Masunda in 1949...went to New Orleans

- - - Updated - - -

Garston, Cobh, New Orleans, Garston