Thread: Modern Ships& Boats names

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Modern Ships& Boats names

I have been sitting here waiting on the rain stopping so I can get out for my daily walk. I often go down and have a look at some of the boats in the harbour and some of the names folk have for there pride and joy. There is one which is called TOOTOO strange name that and I have been trying to make any sense of it. I may have posted something about this before, but anyway it was explained to me how it came about. There were two brothers who used to come down to the harbour and have a look at the weather, when asked if they were going out to have a look at there lobster pots apparently more often than not the reply would be no it is to cold or it is to windy or it is to rough. They got a new boat and they asked a few of the old hands what they should call it. So the general consensus was TOOTOO, Why that they asked well go figure it is to cold to windy to rough etc! They were known as the toto gang, apparently there were 3 originally but one died and another one earlier on tis year also passed away. Sadly this wee boat has not moved in sometime
    We have the usual Irish Rover, Irish Rose, Antrim Maid etc!! nice names.

You look at some of the names given to ships down through the years some proud names UCL Windsor Castle, Blue funnel ships, some of them it took you all trip to learn how to spell the names Autolycus , Demodocus, Ajax, All the Clan line ships( was there ever a Clan McColl?)

Look at todays names EVER GIVEN that thing will be remembered for one thing only, mind you that could be said about the Titanic I suppose.
    Same thing with modern cruise ships they will be forgotten as soon as they hit the beach.
    Right it has stopped raining so walkies.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Modern Ships& Boats names

Eight Weird And Wonderful Ship-Related Names In Honour Of Boaty McBoatface.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bridain...ty-mcboatface/