Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Moorings

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Moorings

I can remember in Napier N.Z. in the 1960's the moorings were quick release as certain weather conditions made the berth unsafe. It was the only place I can think of where no work was carried out on the Main Engines. on half an hour notice to sail.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember Bill they wouldn't let us immobilise the main engines in Japan in the 1960's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Humorous interlude. Captain asleep on couch after liquid lunch when quarantine officer pulls back curtain and says," cap, youve got no rat guards." captain opens one eye and say "I can see that' and goes back to sleep. True story in Port Hedland in mid sixties.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Victoria, we saw the ferry situation at the time and were down in Port Melbourne not long after.
    No one would own up to who was responsible for it.
    Guy on the gate told me that the ship had not been secured correctly to begin with, true, who knows, but it sure caused a problem.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the galley boy was in the night lock up in newcastle NSW.......he had been lifted amongst a group carry on in a bar ....i and others were told we could get out for 10 bob ......as they let us out about 3 am ...the galley boy shouted i havnt got 10 bob......and there is a big ozzie trying to kiss me ......sadly we couldnt raise ten bob between us .....getting back aboard i knocked on the old mans door ....and shouted captain we need 10 bob to get the galley boy out of the local nick ....he ses a big ozzie is trying to kiss him .....back came the answer ,,well bugger off and ask the chief steward for some vaseline......and i know who you are .......the boy was let out next morn ...and the old man never mentioned it again

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Probably thought he was having a nightmare . So it was ponds Vaseline you used then ? Thought axle grease would have destroyed the eyebrows. JS
    Wasn’t Roberts then although he was from Sunderland JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th March 2021 at 08:30 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    the galley boy was in the night lock up in newcastle NSW.......he had been lifted amongst a group carry on in a bar ....i and others were told we could get out for 10 bob ......as they let us out about 3 am ...the galley boy shouted i havnt got 10 bob......and there is a big ozzie trying to kiss me ......sadly we couldnt raise ten bob between us .....getting back aboard i knocked on the old mans door ....and shouted captain we need 10 bob to get the galley boy out of the local nick ....he ses a big ozzie is trying to kiss him .....back came the answer ,,well bugger off and ask the chief steward for some vaseline......and i know who you are .......the boy was let out next morn ...and the old man never mentioned it again

proper old man from sunderland

10. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Probably thought he was having a nightmare . So it was ponds Vaseline you used then ? Thought axle grease would have destroyed the eyebrows. JS
    Wasn’t Roberts then although he was from Sunderland JS
    jeez john i was frightened of nothing or no one .....but i would have never have dared onthe cragmoor my ist deep sea trip gone up and knocked on old roberts door.....i saw what he did to the seaman trying to sign on in the shipping ofice old roberts had a voice like a rogue elephant with piles......no it was years later on the Riseley one of stephen suttons ....old roberts when he passed away i bet the devil wasnt at hometo greet him .....lol

12. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    I can remember in Napier N.Z. in the 1960's the moorings were quick release as certain weather conditions made the berth unsafe. It was the only place I can think of where no work was carried out on the Main Engines. on half an hour notice to sail.
    We had to slip the moorings there one night when a heavy swell was sweeping into the bay. A few of the local girls came with us.
    I remember you had a bollard strop around the bits connected to a senhouse slip Then to the shore mooring, which I think were called dolphins. Then if you had to leave quickly, raise the gangway, a knock with a 14lb hammer and off you go.
    Regards Michael

14. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I remember Bill they wouldn't let us immobilise the main engines in Japan in the 1960's
    Nha Trang and Danang on buoy moorings, engines warming thro all the time, fire axes beside all the moorings.

16. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Morrison, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast