Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1966 MV Carnatic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default 1966 MV Carnatic

Hello guys there was a problem with my last post and it had tobe deleted so I'll try again hahaha! Thanks again for those that replied may I ask you reply again please? So my dad was on MV Carnatic in July 1966 till Dec 1966 and I was thinking this could possibly be Australia that he went and was looking for away to find out! I also wanted to know what D.H.U stood for under Rating in his blue seamans record book? He was also aboard MV Aureol 28.12.65 - 31.1.65 and 8.2.66 - 14.3.66 and 22.3.66 -25.3.66 anyone know where these trips where to? And finally he was aboard empress of Canada from 12.4.66 to 29.4.66 ! Hope you guys can help and appreciate your time and help too! Thanks

2. Thanks N/A, Mike Hall, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Mike Hall, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1966 MV Carnatic

Also I did sign up few years back looking for info regarding my dad, he asked me to sign up and see what we could find! I was under user name Joey McGrady but forgot my signing in details etc and had to start a new profile! So thanks to everyone who replied to the Joey McGrady threads too! Sadly my dad has passed and I discovered his seamans record book which got me looking into his past again! I know he loved my mum and his family but I think deep down some of his happiest times was when he was away at sea! Thanks again folks

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the Aureol the main trading route was UK - W Africa, to such places as Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria, if I remember rightly she was Elder Dempster passenger ship with a white hull.

DHU stands for Utility Deck Hand a rating above SOS Senior Ordinary Seaman and below EDH Efficient Deck Hand and EDH was below AB Able Bodied Seaman. A DHU was someone who could refuse to go above deck level but an SOS could not, such as painting masts etc
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 15th March 2021 at 04:01 PM. Reason: missed important word 'below'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Marian Gray View Post
    Hi Mark,To retrive the old threads of 2010 just type Joey McGrady in search box top right of this page and they'll automatically
    come up.

Don't think I saw your post that was deleted so please can you give your dad's full name, place and date of birth. May find a few other of his ships and destination.

Thank you
    Hi my dads name was Joseph McGrady born 4.6.44 in Huyton Liverpool his number was R826816

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    On the Aureol the main trading route was UK - W Africa, to such places as Senegal, Ghana, Nigeria, if I remember rightly she was Elder Dempster passenger ship with a white hull.

DHU stands for Utility Deck Hand a rating above SOS Senior Ordinary Seaman and below EDH Efficient Deck Hand and EDH was below AB Able Bodied Seaman. A DHU was someone who could refuse to go above deck level but an SOS could not, such as painting masts etc
    My dads friend has just messaged saying he remembers my dad doing trips around Africa!

Thanks

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

9. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

MY POST OF YESTERDAY HAS BEEN DELETED. why???????????????

I posted DHU means Deck Hand Uncertificated, a Deck Labourer. this rating was brought in in 1955 to help break the Seamens Strike for manning.
    A lot of ex Army and Royal Navy lads joined up then. 75% totally useless.
    I was painting the giant funnel of the Empress of Scotland,. A DHU made my gantlin fast to the Rails and cleared off. I could not get down or up. and I was there for an hour and a half
    My brother and I on a Stage and SIX DHUs tending us. as an example.
    I also posted about the CANOPIC, she was a Shaw Saville ship,. on the Australasia /UK trades
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 15th March 2021 at 04:33 PM.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon, Mark McGrady thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    MY POST OF YESTERDAY HAS BEEN DELETED. why???????????????

I posted DHU means Deck Hand Uncertificated, a Deck Labourer. this rating was brought in in 1955 to help break the Seamens Strike for manning.
    A lot of ex Army and Royal Navy lads joined up then. 75% totally useless.
    I was painting the giant funnel of the Empress of Scotland,. A DHU made my gantlin fast to the Rails and cleared off. I could not get down or up. and I was there for an hour and a half
    My brother and I on a Stage and SIX DHUs tending us. as an example.
    I also posted about the CANOPIC, she was a Shaw Saville ship,. on the Australasia /UK trades
    Brian
    There was a problem with my post from yesterday so the whole thread had tobe deleted which is why ive redone the thread! Thanks for your help

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Aureol was Elder Dempster passenger ship running down the West African coast, I came home on her from Las Palmas DBS after having a bad fall crossing the Bay of Biscay and breaking my right arm so had to pay off the Oguta Palm. Den

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, Mark McGrady thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

As said Aureol was an Elder Dempster passenger ship. For many years she ran out of Liverpool to West Africa and Las Palmas in the Canaries. She was classified as the mail boat and was on 31 day round trip schedule. I think she called Dakar Senegal, Abidjan Ivory Coast, Accra? Takoradi Ghana, Freetown Sierria Leone and Lagos Nigeria.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 15th March 2021 at 06:21 PM.

17. Thanks Mark McGrady thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really appreciate all the help! Thank you

19. Likes Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast