Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: 1966 MV Carnatic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 1966 MV Carnatic

DHUs were Not Popular with ABs,. First used as Strike Breakers in the 1955 Seamens Strike,
    Then They were on almost the same wages as an AB, same overtime rate

An AB is a skilled tradesman, the DHU was the Labourer, They were not allowed to go aloft or over the wall,
    #So the more DHUs the more work the ABs had to do while they stood watching.
    Many times my brother and I were the only ABs, all the rest of the deck crowd made up of DHUs
    We had to do it all while they just stood and watched.

As said before, Ordinary Seamen on less than half the wages were expected to go aloft and over the wall while again DHUs did nothing, That is why they were unpopular.

2. Thanks cappy, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian I often wondered about the mentality of whoever brought that rating out. How if ever they did, expect anybody to get the experience when they put it into the hands of the rating they had invented to refuse to do the work to get that experience. An AB could not be replaced in the manning scale by a DHU as he had no experience as such , and as said some had no intention of getting that experience. What I can remember an AB could be replaced by 2. SOSs But a DHU. Could replace no one he was just additional to requirements as far as the manning scale went. If he wasn’t willing to pull. His. Weight there was no need to have him there. If during the strike they were replacing ABs with DHUs then they were breaking the law that they made themselves. They certainly could not replace an AB in the Articles of Agreement and comply with the manning scale for that vessel. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th March 2021 at 11:51 AM.
    R575129

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    the ship owner also used the Cadets with an EDH Cert, or a 3rd Mate also with an edh Cert to make up the manning scale
    , During that strike the EMPRESS of FRANCE was sailed to Cork by the shore gang and then a crew was signed on there.

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know you could use apprentices according to their seatime at the same rates as jos, sos, edh and Ab.as that was in the Agreement. And acceptable to a shipping master at the federation.also I rather believe an EDH could stand in for an AB. But can’t see a DHU standing in for any rating unless in the small print he had been at sea for the equivalent period of the above ratings , if anyone was stupid enough to employ one who did only work he considered doing himself. All ranks and ratings in our time depended on seatime from the master downwards . A DHU who wanted to advance himself and had worked accordingly for a year at sea may have been acceptable on the manning scale as a JOS. But would have to confirm that with the federation book for that year. As can’t remember. For anything above SOS he would have to sit for EDH. The year book will have the answers . His actual position for manning up to that year would be Deck boy. A ships cook had only to have remembering back 2 weeks as a cook in the galley to go ships cook F.G. Plus of course the relevent qualification JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th March 2021 at 12:43 PM.
    R575129

8. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only sailed with one D.H.U. He was a greaser and wanted to transfer to deck. He complained to the bosun once about not been given any sailorising jobs. The bosun took him up to the lampy's store, got a coil of manila and set him to making some rope snotters. By the end of the day his fingers were red raw. He didn't complain any more.
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Michael Black; 25th March 2021 at 01:10 PM.

10. Likes Captain Kong, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

He would have had no problem out here then today Michael as all crew are what we call IRs or integrated ratings. This was changed to that a few years after arriving out here . Up to 13 of a crew and they do the cooking as well. On 6 week swings offshore they used to decide or cut cards who was doing what. As usually there was also ex greasers amongst the mix , usually found there were no big changes in any case. Only on the titles of IR and the bosun became on his pay slip as chief IR. Learner was a PIR or probationary IR and was on half wages for either 6 or 12 months forget which. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I came ashore as they were introducing the integrated ratings system and the general purpose. I couldn't see how that would work on a general cargo ship with lots of derricks etc. I suppose it must work on the container ships and probably some smaller coasters.
    I was on an F.P.S.O. in the North Sea for a while and the O.I.M. made us work in the engine room for a while, didn't like that. You know the old saying oil and water don't mix
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, the IR system is in place now on many of the container ships I am informed.
    But what training do they get to be able to do all the tasks that for so many ears were covered by multipull crew.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The course that the IR did was paid for by the seaman’s union as far as I am aware John .This was 19 years ago ,so there is a generation out there now who know no different. I know by what I can remember I was told by some that parts of the course was more inclined to bridge watchkeeping and radar lookouts. You would have to ask one who did the course to understand what if anything was achieved as regards engine room if not already acclimatised suppose they were taught the routines of the times. Anyhow it was made to be a positive change in people’s thinking , but to myself and other older people it is hard to teach an old dog new tricks. But we got round it somehow. Cheers JS

To me it was just another approach to the demanninhg of vessels and getting more money for the owners by less revenue going out on salary’s. It was sheep dressed up as lamb. Today you won’t see a catering staff on a working ship like you did years ago. There is no need with communal messing , todays modern seaman will know no different than what he was taught to believe. By those who wanted to change it for monetary reasons.
    Today there is very little pride in ones country as most have no pride in them selves and it is obvious when you read. Newspaper or watch the news on tv. The people churning out these stories are whipping up feelings that have no reference to what is Actually happening ,what is going to happen In The world on its present course is world revolution , what the final outcome will be will be total,devastation. As laurel used to say to Harvey , another fine mess you’ve got me into Ollie. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 26th March 2021 at 10:37 AM.
    R575129

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast