Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: SS Skeldergate drawing questions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Skeldergate drawing questions

:Other cabin could be for Deck Boys or Apprentices.
    :Fiddly Top is the upper entrance to the Boiler Room on this vsl, usually many levels of gratings with ladders running down to boiler room floorplates.
    :Most likely its Chain Steering Tensioning Device to adjust tension on the wires. (RODS)
    **Just realised that those control rod questions are actually referring to Chain Steering Gear Rods. (Not wires as I had thought)
    Last edited by John Aikenhead; 3rd February 2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Incorrect sentance

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On Tween Deck ships these openings were merely openings in the WTB to allow light free flowing cargoes such as grain etc to be loaded right through ship. The Trimming Hatches T/H were also used for this purpose so that the holds could be fully plugged with cargo with no dead spots so that free flowing cargo could not shift during voyage which could be very dangerous.

3. Likes Frank Burroughs liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

:Sanitary tank is just a holding tank for sanitary water, located at a high point on the Accom' block.
    F.W. is pumped up to it and then allowed to gravity feed to the various consumers in that accom'd block.
    :Torpedo Vents, may be the small torpedo shaped vents that can free swivel to the wind direction.
    :Compass Platform located at highest point usually on Monkey Island to minimize amount of metal mass attraction for Compass.
    *I see on this dw'g the "control rod" again, so it just clicked for me that the question about control rods on other view must mean
    the Chain Steering Gear rods coming all the way from stern end. (I mistakenly said they were control wires but see now that they are actually rods)

5. Likes Frank Burroughs liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

:Believe Control Rod is part of the Chain Steering Gear system on this vessel.
    :Rudder Tiller Quadrant is chain connected then connecting to a rod system leading forward to Bridge.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4