Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Sea Breezes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea Breezes

If anybody is interested you can google sea breezes and open a free sample of the magazine. Having just done that and looked at a year old example which had an opening article titled 'Empowering women in the maritime community' With a purchase price of £4.90 I do not think I will sign up for an annual subscription.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have copies of SEA BREEZES fron January 1950 to aroun 2010

SHE wants to dump them

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I gave my collection to the Sea Cadets.
    Vic

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in October 2001 I took a MN wreath with me on the QE2 on a ceuise to Cape Town as we would be passing over the site of the GLOUCESTER CASTLE, south of Ascension Island, 8 deg. south.
    I told Captain Ron Warwick about it and he arranged a Service on deck when we got to the position of the sinking
    The wreath was carried to the after rails and at the time in the Service it was cast into the sea.

When I returned home I took the photos and Service sheets to Joe Farnworth`s family and they were extremely pleased that at last they have had a Service over their watery grave,.
    Brian
    the Service
    Attached Images Attached Images

7. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Corrientes. Like yourself I have just spent the last hour thumbing through copies from 1946 to 52. nothing came up. my copies go to 1968 will look again tomorrow.

9. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many thanks. I'm trying to remember how I ''stumbled' on the Sea Breeze entry (as don't subscribe)

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    I used to email Lou, sadly very briefly. I have correlated a list of the Gloucester Castle crew/passengers
    - work in progress. My wife great uncle Jabez Peters (RA/DEMS 1772822 ) ,survived the sinking, however he never spoke, about the incident or in Japan(POW), died in 1978, just 61. Joe Farnworth was just 17, wasn't he.
    142 crew+12 civil/passenger(154); 93 lost their lives. 57 crew saved+4 passengers(61)
    The 4 passengers, including Austin Morris (oral history on https://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/80011177)
    went onto Japan (4 passengers to Fukushima), remainder at Osaka Camp 1. I'm unclear how and who decided who went onto Japan from Singapore. 5 RA/DEMS disembarked at Singapore, the compliment seemed to be 6, indicating Jabez Peters was the only RA that went onto Japan. I have still got a few people to annotate to definite roles.

No idea, how I found the Sea Breeze article (and can't find volume).
    Maybe 1974, as I scanned some of the doc and it has a Page no ? 351, however there's a 352 and then . To be continued (in another Vol, which I never had !) I assume it was the next consecutive volume, however never found had that one to check.

Article provided, some excellent information, so I was keen to find source etc .

On the other side of the fire, in the forward crew accommodation, Steward Austin Morris and several other men found themselves trapped down below. In the entrance to the companionway above them they saw flames shooting across the deck, but it was their only means of escape.

"If we stayed where we were, we would roast," said Morris. Making a run for it he jumped through the flames and managed to weave his way to the 'amidships accommodation. Several of the other men followed him.
    At this stage they really had no idea what had happened. They knew the deck cargo had caught fire but could not understand why there was water sloshing about in the corridors of the saloon deck. They did not realise that the ship was slowly sinking.
    copyright acknowledged
    Thanks for the heads up . re Sea Breezes Magazine - Index also
    I'm keen to find Part 2 ..

Regards
    Gordon

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi ,
    The scanned article has 348 - 352 which I assume are page numbers. (not idea how Sea Breezes is numbered, or pages per volume/ year?)

This would be on a page 348 (as a heading )

ON JULY 10, 1942
    , the Union Castle liner Gloucester Castle, 7,999 grt, dispersed from an outward bound convoy off the coast of West Africa. She was routed independently for Table Bay but she never got there. The ship simply vanished without trace.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi.
    I was just giving up and off to bed ! Then I realised who had told me about Sea Breezes.... The daughter of Capt Griffiths, SS Gemstone via email some years back.
    Vol 67 No. 569 May 1993 P 348 (part 1)
    If at your convenience you are able to confirm Vol etc and if there are more parts in the following volumes please. I remember it didn't give much clue who Peter Williams was, and the 'source' of the article. I assume you are in the 'South West' then, of the UK !? Again thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for help. see latest post..
    Vol 67 No. 569 May 1993 P 348 (part 1) !

16. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well if it is 1993 I'm glad I didn't carry on thumbing pages in the 1950's yesterday. In fact I gave up as I was frozen. I'll have another look now.

18. Likes N/A, Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast