Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea training schools

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sea training schools

Having never been to a sea training school ( my 12 months working on the tugs gave me a pass) I am wondering if the trainees were paid anything while they were there. Also how long was the training and was it different lengths for different departments.
    I can see by the S.T.S. forum that there was a few of them,, one being the Wellesley school in my home town, but I always thought it was more of an approved school, run by Sunderland social services.
    Often saw them in the town in their uniforms at the weekend.
    Regards Michael

2. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea training schools

There s a post somewhere on the Wellesley and think you are correct either wayward or orphans . I lived just along the way from there in Whitley bay behind the Briardene pub and always thought likewise. Sunderland social services why them. ? That used to be in a different county before they messed around with the borders . JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    Having never been to a sea training school ( my 12 months working on the tugs gave me a pass) I am wondering if the trainees were paid anything while they were there. Also how long was the training and was it different lengths for different departments.
    I can see by the S.T.S. forum that there was a few of them,, one being the Wellesley school in my home town, but I always thought it was more of an approved school, run by Sunderland social services.
    Regards Michael

Got two boys from the wellesly on the cragmoor one of runcimans .....one nicknamed black dog and one named warthog one a thief caught stealing a cabin mates soap and ciggies the other never got washed and had to be scrubbed by fellow hands ......they were not bad kids ...just had no guidlines .....9 month later they were different characters and fine young men....R683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2 John, I think it was Sunderland S.S., probably thought that if they absconded let somebody else look for them.
    I used to work with a rigger who left to go as an instructor there, he said that there was a few worky tickets there that just didn't want to learn anything useful.
    Long gone now , built a new housing estate on the site.
    Regards Michael

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, cappy, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I attended Gravesend sea school 1957-58, and at that time it 6 weeks for catering i think ?, and 12 weeks for deck training. In my case i don't recall being paid at all. We had to put some money in the training school funds, so that we could draw pocket money. That money was put in my bank of M&D at home. Thats as i remember it, but it was a long time ago for my poor old brain cells, kt
    R689823

8. Thanks Michael Black thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#4 Where does Northumberland start now. Whitley Bay used to come under them but now is all Tyne and Weir..Blyth is Northumberland still isn’t it ? Were you on the Tyne Tugs or Blyth ? Cheers JS.
    As regards getting paid I got a grant from Northumberland county Council they paid the school fees and allowed 10 pound for books , all travel upto and on the ferry , all travel in South Shields had to pay for. Kept my job at the weekend at a butcher shop in Whitley Bay , no cash at all from the grant apart from the books. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th January 2021 at 03:04 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 John, Northumberland starts at Seaton Sluice now. Yes we are still in Northumberland although the Northumbria police area covers from Berwick to Sunderland.
    I was on Blyth tugs , the Tynesider. All the Blyth tugs were ex Tyne tugs, to old for the Tyne, send them to Blyth!. They were owned by Lawson Batey. At the time I was on them they had 3 at Blyth but only 2 were usable, the Seasider was never used and we took her to scrap at Bolkows eventually. The other being the Hillsider.
    Regards Michael

11. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to the VINDICATRIX in Sharpness on March 17 1952 for 12 weeks at 16 years old.
    then we got 15 shillings a week Dole, Unemployment Pay, We collected it at the Post Office in the village. they took 10 shillings of us to pay for our gear,
    sea boots, oilskins, uniform, Jersey, Dungarees etc so we had gear for joining a ship. and Five shillings was paid to us as spending money for the week.

Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 15th January 2021 at 03:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I went to the VINDICATRIX in Sharpness on March 17 1952 for 12 weeks at 16 years old.
    then we got 15 shillings a week Dole, Unemployment Pay, We collected it at the Post Office in the village. they took 10 shillings of us to pay for our gear,
    sea boots, oilskins, uniform, Jersey, Dungarees etc so we had gear for joining a ship. and Five shillings was paid to us as spending money for the week.

Brian
    yes brian and they had a shop on the vindi ...you could get them things called cartwheels andkit kats and other chocs....but they only let you in one at a time.....lolwonder why ....best i remember getting a food parcel running down to that bog that the tide washed your crap away and eating it in there nobody went in there bloody rats running in and out with the tide .....oh yes we were vikings ok ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    Regards Michael
    just wondered michael what was your ist ship.....was it out of shields or blyth R683532

15. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast