Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Question about Cargo carried during WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Question about Cargo carried during WW2

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Ivan, that is the problem when you have a non seafaring person attempting to answer a question about the sea.
    Ain't that the truth! alas the culprit doesn't think it is him, seeing the T-Shirt is different to having worn it. You try to answer a specific question raised and next thing you know is your flooded with cnp generalisations which only muddy the waters. Alas it will not change. Naturally non seafarers are welcome as are their questions as we all learn from them and about each others departments as well as learning about others professions
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 19th January 2021 at 09:14 AM.

2. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iirecently posted about St elmos fire ...i did specificaly ask kindly i might say .....not for a cut and paste which usually is two or three paragraphs long ...as i find it often breaks the flow of the post which then loses the reason the post was started for ,,,,we can all google anyway ......if we need to ask a question on site we are getting proper seamens views .....this is just my view ...cappy

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, you have hit the nail on the head, any one can do a cut and paste.
    I prefer as does Ivan and most others to hear from members, not some diatribe printed by an unknown source.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Cappy, you have hit the nail on the head, any one can do a cut and paste.
    I prefer as does Ivan and most others to hear from members, not some diatribe printed by an unknown source.

John the use of googling is in my mind one of the wonders of the modern world ...but it surely cannot be used as the reason to stop using social conversations......it should be used as a gift to give us answers which would take us weeks or whatever of library work etc ....my feelings are ...i come on the site to have a social contact and discuss various items reffering mainly to life as we new it at sea ...and day to day life in general ...nothing aggravates me more than in the middle of chat ...say about cyglones and hearing different stories of folks who have been in them .....UP COMES A CUT AND PASTE stopping the almost human chain of contact and giving reams of mainly unwanted information.......this is only my personal view ...i am not trying to change anything if i wanted to just get info i would ist google it .... but surely the word from fellow seafarers and ex seafarers has ist choice ....many will disagree but speech is free and that is my choiceregards cappy ....off to google todays weather

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regards the weather Cappy, don't bother, bloody awful !!!, kt
    R689823

9. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree Cappy, very irkesome, we all have access to information sites if we want to go down that route, because it is quite obvious that we have that access because we are using our devices to be on this site. This fact seems to have been missed.

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Oh thank you so much for all this information- Ivan - yes I do intend researching more - once I can get to the libraries!- but this is all so fascinating and I am so glad I plucked up the courage to post. Mum has also really enjoyed learning stuff she wasn’t even aware of. Thank you for taking the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Again a most enjoyable, informative reply - thank you.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh my - no I did not know that - how absolutely awful - I am learning so much ( and I actually thought I knew quite a bit- I was wrong!)
    Last edited by Maureen Wright; 20th January 2021 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Mis spelled

13. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Maureen, the ex seafarers, (because that's what most of us are) on here will try to answer all your shipping/seafarer questions, don't be embarrassed or frightened to ask anything, only by asking can we help. If you are searching for answers on Wikepedia/google etc do be careful as we have seen many mistakes and assumptions about our profession which can be misleading and which some may accept as gospel; so if you do glean information on there, give us a bell to check it for you. We have knowledge we don't know that we have, because it needs to be unlocked by a word that triggers the memory.

There are hundreds if not thousands of years actual sea experience on this site in all departments, just 3 of us have 160 years maritime experience between us and we have I believe over 10,000 members, so there is a lot to tap into.

I recall you said you were a teacher, so if we make grammatical errors, please try not to rap our knuckles, as most of us experienced the round black ebony ruler wielded by the brides of Christ in formative years, it's a wonder we had any fingers left to pray with.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 20th January 2021 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A good example to me among many more by taken info from the internet and taken it as gospel , it does not take into account of all the people involved . Most seamen know the conditions that they and their counterparts have worked under over the years and can put 2 and 2 together. There are many instances during war and out of war that stories have been told for various reasons be it for propaganda or just pure journalism to make up a story that is agreeable to the general public e.g.the loss of the armed merchant cruiser that steamed towards the German battleship and was blown out of the water. Much is made of the captain of this vessel , but little is said of the hundreds of crew members locked behind w/t doors without choice knowing in all probability they were going to their deaths.These were the true heroes of the war at sea. They and thousands more on other ships it was not a few people picked out for stardom as the general public through ignorance think. Anyone lecturing on life at sea without doing the job ,doesn’t know what they are talking about . Those who consider the master of the Titanic was a hero , if he had survived he would in all probability have faced a court of enquiry and more than likely at the very least have been severely censured . The great sagas of our time at sea have been altered to suit the times. JS
    R575129

16. Thanks cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    From Plaistow London i presume . Birth 1924. Death 2nd October 1940 Ship Kayeson
    Archive Ref BT334 Box 0098 Page 43

Tower Hill:|WW2 Memorial Panels 51 to 60 (benjidog.co.uk)

Attachment 31457

Kayeson 1929 (tynebuiltships.co.uk)
    Hi Doc,

Are there entries like this for all personnel listed at Tower Hill? Looking for similar entry for Thomas Burt aged 18 died on San F;lorentino 2/10/1941

18. Thanks Maureen Wright thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast