Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Sea training schools

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Sea training schools

#27 - Rodney : Just on the topic of foodie stuff, do not mention much as done so much more etc,

Early on got the MCFA, a licentiate to the City and Guilds of London and my MHCIMA.

Food history is my forte, hence my interest.

Still learning. Keith.

Also not advertising in any way my business etc.

Can afford to just follow my hobbies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEQDllvuy1I

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 17th January 2021 at 10:41 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rodders, I did the Vindi bit, not the best introduction to a life at sea.

The cabin I was in was five star and at night i could see them through a hole in the deckhead above my bunk.
    Very little catering done, lot of marching around the square.
    Life boat drill for Catering was bit lighter than for deck but we had to do it.
    There was a test at the end and I was accused of cheating as i did so well. Had to sit in front of two officers, one the notorious George Strange who asked me questions.
    When I answered them all correctly they told me I was OK.
    All the stuff we learned about boat drill just stuck with me for some reason.

One week in the galley, up at some hour we had never heard of, some spud bashing but a lot of sugi of bulkheads and other bits, the galley was so old the name of Napoleon was etched on the bulkhead.

Food for the cadets, what food, cocoa with Bromide in it, and on Friday night if you were on Fire Watch you were allowed to have a shower.
    Came out two days before Christmas.

Just after got a telegram to report to the UCL training place in Woollwich, four weeks learning how to server at table.
    From there onto the Windsor as a Bell boy in the tourist gallop.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well reading about some of the conditions the trainees had to put up with I'm p!eased I missed out. I was also wondering if there was any bullying or was it a case of sticking together and just getting through the training so you could get away to sea?
    Regards Michael

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Black View Post
    Well reading about some of the conditions the trainees had to put up with I'm p!eased I missed out. I was also wondering if there was any bullying or was it a case of sticking together and just getting through the training so you could get away to sea?
    Regards Michael
    There was always bullying at sea schools, even at the so called elite. Bullying at sea was soon sorted out one way or another, marlin spike, shifting spanner and fire hose in the bunk come to mind!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were many examples of attempted bullying, but the school would put the two concerned into the ring with gloves on to sort it out, very much like at sea really, you had to stand up and sort it. Even if you lost the scrap a bully does not normally like having to do it on a regular basis, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy.
    I found those papers will try to put them on here, I may have done it a few years ago.
    Des

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th January 2021 at 09:09 AM. Reason: Increase in Size to help read
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had a bully in our hut.
    He continuously picked on just two other cadets.
    In the end one of the stronger willed lads in the hut suggested they sort it out in the ring.
    Both the lads who were picked on agreed, but not the bully, claimed he was not very fit to fight.
    He went very quiet after that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that all came back to me des i remember it was probably the ist personal letter i ever got ...apart from a birthday card ....lol ..and what a lump of money for a ist tripper ....cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you say Cappy, that brought back the memories, i knew a deposit of some sort was required by the school, and the only pocket money i recall was from home, but it was a long time ago.For most of us it was the first time we spent away from home, but what a time to install some discipline into a young 16 year old. I never regret any route i took in my life, but the biggest growing up period was in the MN, but never grizzle, it was the greatest time we ever had, and very lucky, .
    I remember when i first time i joined the Fire Service, and we talked of our past occupations, i knew they were taking the p*** out of me, when somewhere abroad came on the TV they would slyly ask*have you been there?*, and one day i rounded on them, told them the only experience they had in those days was 14 days in Spain, i have been round the world and some, something you guys will never ever do !!, that shut them up, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#39 Keith we saw the world, but we did it the hard way, traversing oceans complete with storms, hurricanes, typhoons, cyclones etc, not a four hour flight and complaining if your sandwich was late and complaining if your flight was a few minutes late, rather than 2 - 3 days late because you were hove-to in inclement weather.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast