Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Sea training schools

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sea training schools

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    yes brian and they had a shop on the vindi ...you could get them things called cartwheels andkit kats and other chocs....but they only let you in one at a time.....lolwonder why ....best i remember getting a food parcel running down to that bog that the tide washed your crap away and eating it in there nobody went in there bloody rats running in and out with the tide .....oh yes we were vikings ok ....cappy
    think they were wagon wheels .....didnt get enough food to do cartwheels lol

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, my first ship was Shaw Savilles Canopic, it was a pier head jump. I was working by on the Aranda when I was asked if I wanted to join the Canopic and if so to get my gear together.
    In hindsight it was a good decision and an easy one. A few hours later we were letting go and going through the lock from Albert dock into the Thames. An amazing trip to Aussie, certainly an education.
    Regards Michael
    Last edited by Michael Black; 16th January 2021 at 12:08 AM.

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Michael I knew a Charlie Briggs from Sunderland from the age of 15. He went apprentice with Chapman’s on the old Geneton which the next time I saw him he was on in Buenos Aires. I saw him at later times when he was up for certificates at the same time . I heard much later he was harbour master at Blyth does his name ring any bells.? JS
    R575129

Lewis McColl Guest

Are there any such things as Sea Training schools in the UK now. I know there are several colleges but what about training for deck hands , stewards and engine room staff etc! How about fishing vessels. Is that more onboard training.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don’t know about the UK but here in Oz , Launceston Tas. Up until 2002 when I retired were taking in seamen for courses the equivilant of your GPS. It was quite a good course of so many months as well , paid for by the seaman’s union. Went in to the realms of radar watchkeeping and was a good groundwork for those who wanted to go further. I know a couple who I sailed with as deckies are now prancing around the bridge in all their glory. As said in previous posts I saw in lots of cases the crass stupidity of undermanning and made my own protests by promoting such people to bosun/ 2 mate and told the owners after the dirty deed was done, that was in the uk and perfectly legal, they accepted it as had no choice to do otherwise. JS
    R575129

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going to the Vindi for training, all we got was cocoa, burnt toast and poridge, do not recall any pay.
    But do recall losing weight, the camp could have made a fortune if they had advertised as a health camp
    Lose weight while you wait.
    6 weeks for catering and 12 for deck, and a uniform when you left.
    Blue serge trousers and we rubbed soap along the inside of the leg to make the crease stand out.

Not allowed to do any ironing now, her indoors says you do not need creases in your underwear.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 16th January 2021 at 04:52 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes cappy, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Are there any such things as Sea Training schools in the UK now. I know there are several colleges but what about training for deck hands , stewards and engine room staff etc! How about fishing vessels. Is that more onboard training.
    Quite a few still Lewis, but not in the guise we knew them, no more parades, no marching, few practical lessons (if any) more like academies (what ever they are).

In 2013 a lot of us went to the BOA remembrance in Liverpool, among the marching sailors etc from all nations were cadets from Liverpool Marine College, what a shambles, some with dirty shoes, some with trainers, no creases in their trousers, it was painful to watch. Among the smartest were the sailors from the Russian Destroyer in port, couldn't fault them. At my pre sea school we had 36 brass buttons on our uniform including two inset into blancoed collars, god help us if there was a speck of blancoe on those buttons on parade every morning, seven days a week, it was 30 minutes marching in your own time at end of lessons. You were never alone, some one else would have committed a different misdemeanour. Instilled a sense of discipline and respect, although not thinking of that at the time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 John, afraid I can't recall the names of any harbour master's, did hear a story about one. He was walking along the West staithes when he noticed a B.H.C. (Blyth Harbour Commission) work boat tied up and two joiners lying in the bottom sunbathing. What does B.H.C. on your boat stand for he asked. Without opening his eyes one of them said
    Butlins holiday camp. Wrong answer. I heard he was finished.
    Regards Michael

13. Likes N/A, j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Thanks Ivan, I understand what you say about instilled a sense of discipline. I was never at a pre sea school as I was a shore side apprentice. But as a kid all the way into my late teens I was in the BB and brought up to go to church. The BB taught you how to keep yourself tidy(my mum and dad had already made sure that was the case) , cleaning a uniform always trying to out do my brother . It was not all about marching up and down. It was good fun PT boxing and Saturday football against other BB companies. We played a game called mat ball. It was just a free for all, only rules were no biting , scratching , or kicking. From Springtime on there were weekends away for camping in the likes of the Mourne mountains certainly never did me any harm. I remember the man who ran it all Mr Swan he was an English man who married over in N Ireland during the war years. The hours of his free time he gave us. His own sons were also in the BB with us. We even had a band I could even get a tune out of a bugle. Happy days sadly when you look around a lot of that has fallen away.

15. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe its those early years discipline thats missing from todays society, and results with the attempts today of trying to stop mass gatherings with covid. It is not good for kids to attend school and know there is no punishment for bad behaviour, i am not recommending the sort of beatings, sometimes with a cane, that was dished out at my school (which i have had, but dare not tell M&D), but some order established, think they would be happier for it,. There are good kids of course, from good homes, its just a different society that i grew up in, rant over for today, there's always tomorrow of course, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast