Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: canadians out of Singapore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default canadian seamen singapore 1942

i think a bit of a mix up the duchess of bedfofd was a canadian pacific owned ship i was a deck boy on her at that time i joined her in gladstone dock liverpool in december 1942 i was to do three trips the last trip ended in april 1942 it was good ship lou barron

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default duchess of bedford

to my previous email the date i joined the duchess was 1940 not 1942 i left her in april and after a short spell ashore i went on the pool and they told me the gloucester castle was looking for ordinary seamen so me and my mate joined her but that is another story

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in a pub on the wharf in Dunedin and got chatting to a couple of blokes who had served on HMNZ Archilles. They told me how they docked in Cape Town and the authorities tried the old segregation lark on a couple of Maories and the 'ship's' company went berserk. Quite right to, they were fighting a bloody war to do away with facism and any other form of 'isms' including most religions. Providing a bloke lives to a code of looking after others and letting others live their live as they want then the same bloke should be allowed to do the same. Religion messes up your head, and you will always have greedy bastards in this world that want more than their share of the cake. Me, I don't give a brass farthing where a bloke comes from, his colour or creed as long as he allows me my space and my beliefs he's welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2