To cappy,
    Look into post # 7

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ship Survivors

hi fouro the spelling of the master on the site you sent is wrong .....he was on another ship after being rescued from wray castle ,,,,which was fired on by the french navy ...sunk and he and fellow crew members were taken across africa horrendous conditions ending up almost starved to death with other crew members reapetedly beaten .....very sad days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried to find something but there is so little information on the internet.

4. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in the mid 70's I did a short stint for Marconi after returning from Australia (another story) doing relieving voyages mostly around UK. On one ship (best not to give the name), the Mate was a former Fleetwood publican before returning to sea and 2nd Mate a former Swansea fisherman. However, it was the Captain and the 3rd Mate who were interesting, both had sailed together during the war. The Captain's orders were that if the 3rd Mate arrived on the Bridge drunk for his watch then he, the Captain was to be called and he would take the watch, no mention was to be made in the log of the 3rd's condition other than that he was unwell and no other action was taken. It only happened once during my month/6 weeks on board and I asked the Mate what it was all about and why wasn't the 3rd sacked. Evidently the old man and the 3rd had been together when their ship was torpedoed and ended up, just the two of them, on a life raft - they were adrift for some time before being rescued in very poor condition, the Captain maintained that the 3rd had saved his life and he owed him a debt that he could only repay by keeping him in work and protecting him. I cannot remember names now and probably better anyway although I doubt any are still alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just had a reply from my MP, re the seamen buried in Timbuctoo, and reparation monies kept by the government, he states that he has brought this to the attention of the Minister of Defence , so we will see what transpires, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

my grandmother had 5 telegrams telling uncle Edward was missing in action always had god save the king he was torpedoed 5 times in the war royal navy man before during and after the war she even had a bill for half a crown for the blanket they gave him bringing him on board? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did those being de- mobbed after the war have to pay for the suit they wore?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14.. Something on the same lines. Was 3rd. mate on a ship , Where the master and 2nd. mate had sailed together during the war , the 2 mate had been bosun. I was not particularly impressed with either of them. They gave the mate a hard time and tried it with me, they had no luck with me as just gave both the cold shoulder. The second mate went up for his masters cert. at age of 57 and got , he was shortly promoted to master afterwards and I had the questionable privilige of sailing with him.
    That voyage he refused to pay the crew off on arrival on the continent after a west coast African voyage , was in collission in the River Plate shortly after , and all this on his first trip master, he rounded the trip off in Liverpool with 15 double DRs all unwarranted. He was retained by the company probably on his reputed past service during the war. It cut no ice with me whether he was at sea during the war or not, he was not an example of a good seaman in my eyes and also others on the vessel who many had also been at sea during the war years felt the same. They were not all supplied with a halo the veterans of the war years. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#17 Dont think so John, my father arrived home from Burma still in his tropical gear. When he went for his demob suit he must have been robbed if he paid for it. Dont know if the trilby was thrown in as well , believe they got a pair of shoes as well. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was thinking of you last night Brian, You must have had a ball all those invites from so many friends and neighbour's who live all around you celebrating Diwali, You must have been spoilt for choice who's house to enter, I bet they spoilt you rotten all that lovely food colours candles and company them guys can throw a wing ding alright good old Bolton.
    {terry scouse}

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast