Thread: Shipping federation ww2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shipping federation ww2

Does anyone have any information on the role and operation of the Shipping Federation during WW2 in the recruitment of seamen, and its relationship if any with the Mercantile Marine Offices?

Regards

W G Smith

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shipping federation ww2

Pretty much the same as it was after the war, Only difference if a seaman was reported lost at sea after his ship being torpedoed or sunk and him not found, He had 30 days to report back to the Federation, If he did he got paid any wages that had been stopped the minute his ship went down. If he never showed up he was presumed dead, Follow this link it is a great insight into just one such episode wrote by a great man who i was in touch with for many years Stan Mayes was very well known amongst this forum and just about every other M.N.Site he tells the story of one ship torpedoed in ww2 that he was in with my uncle Len who at the age of 22 yrs sadly went down with the ship the SS VIKING STAR, Stan has passed now but i used to speak with him quite a lot over the phone he was an absolute gent he sent ne a copy of the ships articles that went into the life boat with him which has my uncle Lens signature on Regards Terry.
    https://www.benjidog.co.uk/recollect...%20Mayes2.html
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know how it was organised but I was told more than once when I was at sea that WW2 brought seamen substantial improvements in wages (from £1.5 pm to £4 pm for a C/O recalling his time as a Cadet) plus paid leave and a great improvement in food.
    Fine as long as you didn't "stop a brick"

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The improvement in wages was not paid by the ships owners, but by the Government as a War Bonus payment each moth due to the fact they were civilians.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I was aware that the no ship, no job, no wages was the norm
    and later this was changed but, not that the Government paid.

Regards, Keith.

9. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post