Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: scam

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default scam

Just got a phone call saying that I had purchased an Iphone on Ebay and that my account was about to be debited that amount. If I had not purchased said item then press "1" on my phone to cancel order. Three things stopped me from doing this. 1 was suss about the call straight away. 2 The way I have my account set up there is nothing in it hence I will be informed straight away if a money is to be deducted. 3 went straight away to Ebay and checked past purchases and of course no Iphone. I bring this to your attention because in a slack moment one could easily push number one on the phone and I am bloody sure that would automatically rip you of. Hope this stops someone on site from getting so easily caught by the fecking low life's.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: scam

I was getting several calls every day similar to that. I wait at least five minutes before dialling BT, on No. 1572 then 1, in the UK. [not sure if OZ has a similar service,] and they already have the number that called, and then they block it permanently. So no more calls , I now have at least 12 blocked phone callers now.
    Try your phone provider. I dont have a mobile phone so no idea what to do on those.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Over the past ew months I have received regular emails from, Amazon, Morrisons, Tesco et al, all claiming that I have won a prize.
    The prize could be anything from an Iphone, to a massive TV.
    All I have to do is send my bank details pay £1 and the prize will be delivered.
    When you check the links on who sent the emails, none come from the company that are supplying the prize.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

These scammers are getting very clever indeed, Going back to the first post by Les i have had similar calls in the past, press one press two ETC..... Apparently if you press nine to speak to an advisor from your internet provider you get the bill for every call the guy makes that day. As we all no these calls are usually dark skinned chaps, The last one i got was from a very well spoken English lady which i am sure some would get roped into, If you get the call on your mobile ask them to relate your home or landline number back to you or vice versa, If by any chance they can, Keep asking security questions email addy ETC.... Because your provider will tell you they never cold call they will write to you if they need anything confirming. I am with B.T. And over the past few months i have had a dark chap on the other end, It gives me the opportunity to call these scammers what they are a BL*** T**T....... Terry.
    {terry scouse}

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry,
    if you are with BT , just dial 1572 then 1 when the lady gives you a choice of 3
    they have the number that just phoned you and it is then blocked I very rarely get one these days as nearly everyone is blocked. Simple.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There appears to be an epidemic at the moment. I have had three in the last twenty four hours, (1) the Inland Revenue threating penalization if back taxes not payed. (2) Internet Service Provider will stop working if a fault they have detected is not corrected. (3) hung up as answering machine clicked on. I only answer calls that show who's calling, if someone wants to converse with me they will leave a message. 1&2 I listened to after they had hung up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill,
    All part and parcel of the joys that go with computing, at least it keeps us on our toes, remember the "Good old days" when all we had to contend
    with was the Spiv and his suitcase and the door to door salesman, and of course the likes of that "Lovable rogue Del Boy" .
    When I was a kid during the war, a woman living opposite us, went to work as usual, her husband was away in the army, her neighbours were
    surprised to see a removal van turn up with a team of men wearing white aprons, they were very professional as they emptied the contents of
    the house. Can anyone imagine what that poor woman went through, as if the war wasn't bad enough, with all of the bombing going on, there
    was a very good market for secondhand furniture, no wonder those blokes looked professional, it was probably a full time job for them, cheers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have had this one a few times in the last week or so, they seem to do it in cyckles because I had the same thing before. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes we too here in Aus get all those pestering calls , unfortunately we do not have (Well not that i am aware of) that Number you talk of Capt that one can Dial and get the last caller. Wish they had. All we have and at most times its no good as one has to have the Number that called! Is the Reverse look up. But with so many Scammers having Private Numbers coming up on the Phone Screen , that is absolutely of no use!
    All i can do now with my Mobile is to Block those that i can with a Blocking program i have downloaded.
    As for the Landline well if we see Private Number or other that we do not know ,we just ignore and let it ring out!
    Wish Telstra would come up with a better plan.
    There is a Telstra Phone (Landline) you can Buy (But costs) that has a setting that one can Block calls , but why must we pay for such when already we have to pay for the Service anyway!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure if this was a scam but think it was. I was having trouble logging onto Ebay and could not find a number to ask questions about but was directed through the web to a site to resolve this type of problem. Great I thought at last something to sort it out. Found out that to access this site I would need to pay $5 fully refunded and they would solve the problem. That rang alarm bells between the lugholes so sorted the problem out myself by opening another account on Ebay. Problem solved. I am sure that all they wanted was bank details as they wanted it to be direct debited. Have a rule I keep. I am quiet happy with how life is and can not see why I need to change because of some bugger cold calling me on any medium or person.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast