Spent Xmas of 64 either there or Oxelosund can’t remember which. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The North Pole

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    How many on site can claim the dubious honour of having been to the North Pole. Flying today is much in advance off what it was 50 years ago , however in 1968 I joined a ship in Japan from the uk . This involved flying out first to Rotterdam, catching a JAL flight to Anchorage changing again for a. Flight to Tokyo , thence a local flight to Shimonoseki . To prove had been over the Pole had a certificate given to me as all the passengers had also. No need to get frostbite doing it the hard way.
    JS.
    Like J.S. I also have that dubious honour, a bit later though. It was 12/11/76 at 19.26 when I passed over the North Pole. I went from Heathrow to Copenhagen, then catching SAS flight to Tokyo, stopping at Anchorage to refuel, and the Bullet Train to Kure to join the King William. I still have the certificate hence the accuracy of the time and date. Happy Days.
    Ian Cowley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In early seventies I flew BOAC from Tokyo to Heathrow via Anchorage.
    When I boarded the plane I was seated right at the back end (747) and was followed on board by a relief cabin crew, so was included with them once they learned my background.
    We were on our third round of drinks before take off and it was virtually a continuous party all the way to Anchorage.
    I vaguely recall wandering around Anchorage airport in an alcoholic haze.
    Still didnt feel right when we arrived at Heathrow, got no certificate but was informed by the captain that we had made the first fully automatic landing ,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in a small port in Norway up by the North Cape, stern to tie up just as well as the ropes were frozen and had to be pulled along the deck.
    Felt the same here in Cooma last night Minus 8; thick frost, but what a lovely day today.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Duke Drennan;351767]
    Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Back in 64 on the British Hawthorn maiden voyage we were in Lulea Sweden.
    Last ship in before the port froze over for winter.
    Couple of us went out on deck for a smoke.
    Only out there a few minutes and my shoes froze to the deck in that time.
    Might be classified as a bit on the cool side.

I have fond memories of several trips to Lulea John, a nice little town, cold though.
    In those days it was almost impossible to get a drink, wine in a restaurant and they had what we called near beer, no bloody alcohol in it, was a grog free country then.
    Back there a couple of years ago and now pubs everywhere, must have come into the real world.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15, in the 50/60's the Scandi countries and ships were dry and the crews in foreign climes as soon as they smelt the barmaids apron became pizzed and looking for a fight and always were known as Scandihooligans challenging all and sundry to a fight or drinking contest none of which they ever won...………...happy days !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it happened to me , Ivan,
    in Montevideo in the California Bar,
    because I could not speak Swedish
    a Swede hit me so hard my granny felt it 7000 miles away.
    In the battle two swedes died.,

It is in my story of the URMSTON GRANGE.
    Cheers
    Brian

9. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

10 of us flew B.A. Heathrow to Osaka via anchorage to join a ship in mizushima dry dock. The plane, a 747, was virtually empty and we were the single biggest group of passengers. During the stop over in anchorage we wandered around the airport, took photos of ourselves alongside that polar bear and had a few drinks. As it was getting close to our scheduled departure time and having heard no announcement over the tannoy, we made our way to our departure gate only to find the cabin crew preparing to close the aircraft doors and we would have been stranded in Alaska if we had got there a few minutes later. No apologies from the cabin crew for leaving something like 10% of their passengers behind, just a hurry up and get seated. Mind you what happened when we did land in Japan and the subsequent dry docking made most of us wish we had been stranded in Alaska. The ship was the worst and most dangerous wreck captained by the biggest rissole it was my misfortune to sail with. Over a month in freezing cold Japan having daily battles with the risshole, the only saving grace being working with the Hong Kong surveyor who was basically going round with me and condemning most of the stuff I pointed out to him. A 10 day docking for change of flag turned into a 40 day nightmare compounded by having to work with that risshole of a captain and we never got a certificate for flying over the Pole!!!
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe the rissole had words with the airline John and confiscated them. I think I sailed with 3 such rissoles during my time. Thank God for the good ones. A Yugoslav a. Protestant Irishman , and just a plain big headed englishman all didn’t go very far with their apparent disagreeable nature , and all were surplus to requirements. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    #15, in the 50/60's the Scandi countries and ships were dry and the crews in foreign climes as soon as they smelt the barmaids apron became pizzed and looking for a fight and always were known as Scandihooligans challenging all and sundry to a fight or drinking contest none of which they ever won...………...happy days !!!
    I think that is how the Madhouse in Curacao got its name.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast