Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Leaving a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Only naughty ones got that John!
    Me i was always asked "Are you doing another with us"
    Cheers
    Vernon as someone who got all my jobs from the pool, I had two committees a report if you where a naughty boy was sent to the Federation all you could do while on leave was wonder because the ships Master was under no obligation to inform you, And you may well have had a V.G. Stamped in your book not necessarily D.R. It was usually when you where coming to the end of your leave you would receive a letter or telegram DON'T.....Report to the desk at the federation you have a committee. They took my book of me twice then sent you packing don't ring us we will ring you. Another day in the life Terry.
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 25th July 2020 at 11:24 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post#3 John I have had a look at the wife's late uncle's testimonials, some are typewritten and others by hand. His first one was almost his last and after some months ashore he went back to sea and had full life as a ship engineer and later Engineer Superintendent of Lago Oil & Transport Company Ltd. ARUBA.
    Bill
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Thanks Fouro thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Morrison View Post
    Post#3 John I have had a look at the wife's late uncle's testimonials, some are typewritten and others by hand. His first one was almost his last and after some months ashore he went back to sea and had full life as a ship engineer and later Engineer Superintendent of Lago Oil & Transport Company Ltd. ARUBA.
    Bill

Many thanks Bill for putting these excellent references on show.
    The second one written by hand is similar to the one I got when I left my first ship in Curacao.

Regards from
    Fouro.

5. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

After a disagreement with the second steward i left the Windsor and did a voyage on the Pretoria.
    She was one week behind so on return I went back to the Windsor and saw the second again.

His comments to me,
    'I know your dad was a Pig farmer so I have just the job for you as officers steward'.

I was to find out there was no love lost between him and the deck officers or engineers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

References and C.V.s were a way of life when most on here went to sea. Our elders still lived in the social
    Cast system still religiously held together by some. But after the war people wanted to know what they had fought. For and supposedly won in the previous 5 years. It was a time of Hard left policy’s and in some cases communist doctrine making a bit of headway. Some good and some bad policy’s were made. At sea as a young man I can still remember. Being told not to mix with engineers which was the last thing anyone should have said to me. Most of the barriers have been knocked down now, otherwise it would have been business as usual . I think today most seamen go by the guidelines that you don’t leave a bad smell behind, and your only as good as your last job.
    Any written CV can be doctored by an applicant to suit a.job situation , but fulfilling the demands of that job is a different thing. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th July 2020 at 07:51 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The references were required by the examiner before you could sit your certificate. Some companies had a standard form in others the C/E wrote out a reference. It had to state whether you where on watch, in charge of the watch and your conduct.

9. Thanks Tony Reeves thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was always given a reference from the Chief Engineer, either if he left or I left the vessel.

11. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just as a point of interest lads, The first committee i got at the Shipping Federation i admit i deserved, The second came about when i was at sea keeping sea watches i was on the grave yard watch with number 2 12-04 When i was actually at sea keeping watches i never drank any booze at all i had an impeccable record of not falling threw and always relieved my fellow seaman 5 minutes early regardless of what watch. While on this particular ship i was getting balled out of my bunk just after midnight by the 2nd mate nearly every night to get up on the bridge and relive my mate. Now this wasn't like me at all and i began to think i was ill or something else was going on. Then i had a thought was i getting my shout for my watch. I sat in the chair for 3 nights with the hook on my door in the darkness and as suspected the 8 -12 guy who i never got on with i heard pass my cabin door but no shout. I ran up to the bridge and gave him bloody large, This guy had been in the ship for months and was a bit of a blue eye, After grabbing him around the throat and head butting him giving him what for the 2nd mate stepped in and asked could i prove this, No mr mate i cant but one thing i can say is i have never on any watch let anyone down and he is an ass h*L* The mate was still having none of it he gave me large for not going about it the correct way and sang this guys praises that he has never been accused of it before. The rest is history i was paid off and received my second committee i couldn't afford a 3rd one if i wanted to stay at sea 3 strikes and you where out. Another day in the life Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We would not have stayed at sea Terry if we didn't have a sense of humour, 55 years me mate, and never won an argument yet !!! kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Putting stuff out in preparation for down sizing very soon . Came across my old “ Record of watchkeeping” in booklet form and as most already kmow was signed and stamped by the master for proof of. Seatime . There was a place for remarks also. Some maybe referring to this as a reference. A. Proper reference is to assist the receiver in looking for other employment and normally one would have to ask for such . JS
    R575129

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast