Thread: house flag of the Aberystwyth Steamship company

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default house flag of the Aberystwyth Steamship company

My Great Grandfather sailed in three ships which belonged to an Aberystwyth grocer by the name of Mathias. He was an owner of the schooner MISS EVANS, The Brig SOLWAY and a steamship the GLANWERN. I am curious to see if anyone has any records that might show the houseflag of this company. I have a print of the Brig SOLWAY that was done about 1883 or so and she appears to be flying a blue flag with a white center design from the foremast but it is not clear. The GLANWERN was the first steamship owned by Mathias and others and I presume why the title of Aberystwyth Steamship Company.
    Mathias went on to become the owner of numerous tramp steamers. I have an ongoing research project on my Great Grandfather and his brothers and while the houseflag matter is not of great importance I would very much like to have the design. Any help would be appreciated.

Ian Adrian Millar

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: house flag of the Aberystwyth Steamship company

When Welsh ships sailed the seas

The Breconian

The company that owned the Breconian began back in 1869 when John Mathias, an ambitious Aberystwyth greengrocer, decided to venture into shipowning, buying the schooner Miss Evans.

In 1883 he moved from sail to steam, forming the Glanrheidol Steamship Company Limited. By the time that the Breconian joined the Mathias fleet, the business had been grandly renamed the Cambrian Steam Navigation Company Limited, with the seven ships of the line being named, rather unusually, after public schools. This led to seamen at Cardiff giving the company the nickname of 'the College line'.

https://museum.wales/articles/2007-0...iled-the-seas/

Cambrian Steam Navigation Co, John Mathias, Aberystwyth

By 1876 John Mathias owned two coastal sailing ships and in 1883 he purchased a tramp steamer and traded with coal to the Mediterranean and Black Sea. By 1905 he had opened a second office in Cardiff and traded worldwide. By 1914 the company operated six ships, of which three were lost to enemy action. The company suffered severely in the post war slump and his fleet was sold and the company wound up in 1924.

A list of Welsh Shipping Companies and their Fleet Lists compiled by Ted Finch.

Cambrian Steam Navigation Co

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 13th July 2020 at 11:42 PM.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have sent you a Private Message
    Thanks
    Doc
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There seems to be some records at the N A Kew on the following but seems not yet available till reopening??
    Cheers

• Aberystwyth & Aberdovey Steam Packet Co Ltd

https://discovery.nationalarchives.g...ils/a?_ref=212
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th July 2020 at 12:12 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Cambrian Steam Navigation Co, John Mathias, Aberystwyth

Cambrian Steam Navigation Co

Apparently, J. Mathias and Sons moved their headquarters from Aberystwyth to Cardiff with the advent of the larger steamships that began to dominate the tramp trades ...

JOHN MATHIAS & SONS
    John Mathias was born at Llanbadarn Fawr, near Aberystwyth, in 1837. His early business venture was a grocery shop at 7, Bridge Street, Aberystwyth, but he later entered ship owning with a couple of small sailing ships which he used to transport his goods. In 1883 he obtained his first steam ship, the Glanrheidol, and set up the Glanrheidol Steamship Co. to operate her in the coal trade out of Cardiff. A further five steamers followed in subsequent years, all named with the prefix Glan... and all operated by separate companies of which John Mathias was the principal shareholder. The registered office of the companies was at Aberystwyth but the ships operated from Cardiff. By 1905 all the Mathias owned companies had been subsumed within the Cambrian Steam Navigation Co. formed by him originally in 1896. The company now had an office in Cardiff run by John Mathias' son Richard. The new company named its ships after public schools (eg Etonian). When John died in 1912 the company was taken over by his son, Richard, who was a Barrister, knighted in 1913 and created a Baronet in 1917. The company was, like many, hit by the slump in the 1920s and was wound up in 1924.

http://www.angelfire.com/de/BobSanders/SHIPCOM.html

Richard Mathias.

https://blog.martinhorwood.net/wp/pa...chard-mathias/

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith: many thanks for the information on J Mathias. Great Grandfather sailed on some his his ships from seaman thru Master.

10. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

No worries, I will try and look for more.

K.