Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Access to information about Officer's postings in WW2

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Access to information about Officer's postings in WW2

Dear Doc

I've just realised I did not thank you for this so belated thanks.

Regards

David Mason

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Alan I went to South Shields Marine and Technical College In 1952. The head of navigation was then Captain Bill Moore who I believe wrote various books on seamanship, The head of the College was then Dr. Hargreaves ( Cantab.) the other lecturers in the Navigation dept. I can’t at the moment recall their names but can still remember their faces. One of them had been badly gassed during the war so was probably off tankers. There was another one with badly burned hands , were more like hands off a skeleton. My cousin was also a lecturer there in engineering and think it would of been from the late 50s he started there after getting his certificates with RFA. This was when the main building was the one in Ocean Road. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th July 2020 at 12:18 PM.
    R575129

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #3 Alan I went to South Shields Marine and Technical College In 1952. The head of navigation was then Captain Bill Moore who I believe wrote various books on seamanship, The head of the College was then Dr. Hargreaves ( Cantab.) the other lecturers in the Navigation dept. I can’t at the moment recall their names but can still remember their faces. One of them had been badly gassed during the war so was probably off tankers. There was another one with badly burned hands , were more like hands off a skeleton. My cousin was also a lecturer there in engineering and think it would of been from the late 50s he started there after getting his certificates with RFA. This was when the main building was the one in Ocean Road. JS.
    I started at Shields in 65, the old college on Ocean Rd. was still utilised for certain activities (some workshops etc), There was also an old building on Beach Rd. behind the Town Hall which was grim, but the new building at Westoe was where most work was carried out. As we discussed, your cousin was a most respected member of staff during my time.

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13 He was respected most places he went Tony , certainly by me as looked up to him as an older brother, he was 6 years older than me , but him and his younger brother were brought up together at our grandparents house in Kingston near London during the war, his mother was dead then as had died with TB which was rife in those days and his father like all the brothers in the armed forces.. As said he finished up in Launceston Tasmania , both his wife Doris and him went back to the UK when he retired and died there. One of the other lecturers that was there in South Shields
    He seemed close to taught electricity but can’t remember his name, but had been a HO in the RN during the
    War. HO = Hostility’s Only. Cheers JS..
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 11th July 2020 at 08:42 AM.
    R575129

7. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2