Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: La Colina

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: La Colina

#9... would be very handy though Tony , save on the old cement boxes. JS.

2. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he knew Narvik well he was probably on the ore carriers , and these were special sized ships running into Port Talbot when the size of ships had to be conducive to the size of the lock and depth of water in the port. I believe Buries Markes did have a regular runner there. Your father was probably an engine room man and handy with a blow torch and welding machine either gas or electric or both. His seamans discharge book would settle it for you to see what his actual job on the ship was. As post 9 says the engine room staff used to do the welding on a ship as required , this was usually just tack welding but more serious if required and could do.. Every time after discharge of iron ore there was quite often grab damage , if any plating had to be renewed , shore welders had to be called in, and the only other thing I could possibly imagine as possible was to leave a permanent welder on board , as Narvik to Norway was not a long run. But even that is hard to imagine. Buries Marks however seem to come out with ideas well before the times however and who knows what they thought. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th May 2020 at 11:02 AM.

4. Thanks Katie Gaskell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a number of ships I was mate on, we carried a deck fitter who was also a welder, lots of welding work on bulk carriers and container ships with grab damage and on containers damage to cell guides, hatch covers etc.
    Rgds
    J.A.

6. Thanks j.sabourn, Katie Gaskell thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13.... different ships different jibs, on Indian crew ships you had an actual rating of winch wallah , his official job was to drive a deck winch.. But on British ships never came across a welder. There is nothing against signing on anyone and describing him as necessary. I signed on people as just sailor. I think in my time every rank and rating recognised in the MN was in the federation year book which covered all who were there for the safe working of the ship. Cheers JS

8. Thanks Katie Gaskell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the rank of SAILOR in my book John, the skipper wanted me to stay on the Baltic Trader, i was SOS, but had enough sea time in for my EDH ticket, but when he signed me on as Sailor it was just below AB rate, so i signed on again, she was a happy ship. I signed on twice more as Sailor, so when i finally sat my ticket, i had enough teatime to go straight to AB, so never was an EDH as such, kt
    R689823

10. Likes j.sabourn, Brett Hayes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good to see you back on site Keith, you were conspicuous by your absence . Hope the stocker up of your underwear drawer is now feeling ok. Am having trouble with my own right knee as is like having toothache in your leg. But keep on putting off as want my blinkers done first to see what they are doing. Getting old is no picnic. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th May 2020 at 02:14 PM.

12. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Today being a welder on a ship and also when he was there, is a strong possibility he was there on her maiden voyage to complete jobs still to be done, in preparation for the guarantee drydock that most new builds had before any final moneys were paid off the probable existing mortgage on the ship. welder is not an official rank in. The M.N. And I can’t see him being there 10 years doing such. Maybe he came to some agreement with the company for other welding repairs on other vessels. Or maybe just packed in his trade and joined the M.N. It’s hard to believe though a coded welder would take such a drop in wages. Others may be able to supply a more feasible explanation. Buries Markes were also one of the first to engage females on their cargo ships.but dont think it lasted very long. Regards JWS.
    Re- reading your initial post however see he went to sea at 17 so would not have been a welder then. Do you have what his first discharge was ? JS
    No don't have any of that I'm afraid. I wonder if that's where he learnt his trade but then went on to do something else? as lots of people are saying that the ship wouldn't have carried a welder for 10yrs but maybe would have on it's maiden voyage.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #9... would be very handy though Tony , save on the old cement boxes. JS.
    HA HA, the cook always asked why I wanted empty bean tins.

16. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Katie,
    Noted other replies to this and hope you eventually get all the info you want. La Colina was a Buries Marks ore carrier. I served a part of my time on Denholms Ore Carriers (Scottish Ore Carriers/Scottish Ship Management) and the vessels were all aware of the others on the same routes - often to try to work out what your next voyage might be. e.g. if La Colina had just been despatched for Narvik we might not be. Somewhere warm was always the preference!
    During the seamens' strike of 1966 La Colina was tied up in Port Talbot. I was on board Crinan and I am almost sure that at one point we were rafted with 2 other vessels. La Colina among them. There were not many movements after the vessels arrived and tied up and this rafting was after Crinan came out of dry dock until we all sailed after the strike.

18. Likes Katie Gaskell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#19... Duncan you must have been in Port Talbot the same time as me. I was mate on the Ravensworth. JS

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast