Thread: Was This You ???????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Was This You ???????????

RLT
    Re#25
    Afraid I cannot remember the name of the bar that only opened during the day and had go--go dancers and where half the stevedores would spend their shift, only that it must have been close to the new gate and car park that was created at the head of the seaforth container terminal, the one the ACL ships used.
    Never did much drinking in Liverpool, in fact can only recall three occasions when I went drinking in Liverpool. The most memorable one being when as 3rd mate we laid up the Beaverpine in Liverpool after a voyage charter for KNSM around the Carribbean. The captain was a right character from the sefton park area, married to a coal merchant's daughter from the Scotland road area. One night he turned up on board and insisted I accompany him on a pub crawl. I know we started out on the club ship Landfall? But after that it all descended into an alcoholic haze. I do recall that by the early hours of the morning we would be drinking in establishment that required you to knock on a closed door and be examined through a small batch before being admitted but at every joint the Captain was greeted by name and welcomed in. One place we visited the toilets were a trough in the back yard and going for a pizz I nearly crapped myself when a bleddy huge fierce alsatian lept at me from the dark, fortunately it was chained to prevent it getting to reach anyone having a pizz.
    It must have been almost breakfast before I got back on board with the captain saying we must do it again in a few days... No way, I just couldn't keep up with his hollow legs. I was saved when they transferred me to the Empress of Canada.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 20th April 2020 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I remember the Landfall, a converted landing craft. In there one night and was doing very nicely with a young lady, when she literally vanished in front of me, wtf, looking round, half the revellers vanished in one direction as police poured onto the dancefloor from the opposite direction.
    Never found out what happened, so an early return to Tranmere.

3. Likes Red Lead Ted, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they had a diving suit standing on the landing how many said goodnight to it when had one over the odds?jp

5. Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The good ship Landfall, I had some great nights aboard that little gem she was the last surviving tank carrier that sailed to Dunkirk Happy days indeed Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Red Lead Ted; 20th April 2020 at 02:50 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Terry mate, well recall the good ship land fall.

Fall and land on ya bum and then try to stand.
    Better to stay down until it wears off.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Red Lead Ted, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a great shame to see her decline over the years,
    most of those were sold off for scrap.
    “She is in extraordinarily original condition, because they were such simple ships – although she has lost her engines, almost the entire fabric is original to 1944.”
    The ship survived partly because she was back in Liverpool for a refit when the war ended. Decommissioned in 1945, Landfall first became the floating headquarters of the Master Mariners Club in Liverpool – and is remembered by sailors from all over the world who were guests there – and then a club and restaurant at Canning Dock in the 1960s and 70s.
    She was bought by the Warship Preservation Trust, which intended to carry out a full restoration but went into liquidation in 2006. On the historic ship register, her situation was described as bleak: “Her immediate prospects are indifferent and her longer-term future unclear.”
    Once the ship is afloat again – which is expected to be by Thursday morning – Liverpool will have a month to pay its respects before the plug-ugly but magnificent survivor sets off on a last voyage.
    {terry scouse}

10. Thanks John Gill thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry where is she off to hopefully not the knacker yard. Rgds Den.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She is in Portsmouth Denis - in the BAe Systems Naval Dockyard, she is in the process of restoration.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember the Caradoc from my time in Liverpool.I sailed out of this, my Favourite port for 5 years. Empress of England, then the Headline of Belfast.
    Yes,those gorgeous Ladies...( depending what you were drinking).They could climb the dock gates better than anyone.
    What a great pub crawl doing the Dock Road.Never did get very far.I like reading about all the names of those watering holes we used to frequent.
    I have some dvds about this Great Port which i view from time to time. Seeing all the traffic and hearing all the sounds of a busy port in its hay day is a godsend in these days of Lockdown.Stay safe Shipmates.

15. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

when I was on the Empress of France, I went home with a Barmaid from the Caradoc, to Elphinstone Street, She was a Nightmare,. I had to get out fast, No toilet, the house was still bomb damaged so she used a bucket and polished her bum with a kitten from the cats box.
    I will never forget the look on the kittens face.

17. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast