Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Was This You ???????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Was This You ???????????

What was the nearest pub in garston to dock. Would not serve me a deck boy on tetela.

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peg leg
    why would you want to be served a deck boy, I would rather be served a pint .
    Brian

I took the Tetela to scrap in Bruges, Belgium
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 18th April 2020 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The pub was mostly known as The Seven Steps, can't recall its real name at the moment. Rgds Den

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It use to be the only pub in Liverpool that had no windows in the bar.it also had a blocked up tunnel leading towards the docks plus seven cellars. {seven steps } The Seven Steps was situated at 79 Sefton Street. Also known as The Brunswick Vaults. I would imagine that is the boozer you got refused pegleg, As for the whole in the fence a few remember yes it would have been either the Royal, Or the International, Known as the Inty, Whih was at one time a Whitbread boozer they sold a pint called Toby Light, I f i ever had a throat which i did on many occasion like Gung dins Loincloth, A couple of buckets of Toby Light would sort the world out for you good health all Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I am intrigued by your post mate, After living on top of the docks at Seaforth all my adult life when you say go go bar elaborate on that if you can there where as i said only 3 boozers it could have been the Caradoc/ The Royal/ The International/ But there was a little club a stones throw away from the International which was renamed half a dozen times before they demolished it. I think in 73 it was known as the Fellowship club Cheers mate Terry.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th April 2020 at 06:06 AM.
    {terry scouse}

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry you beat me to the name just remembered this morning, Rgds Den

10. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Who mentioned the American Bar.
    There cannot be many pubs in Liverpool named in honour of their landlord/landlady. Peter Kavanagh’s on Egerton Street is one and Ma Egerton’s on Pudsey Street is another. Dublin-born Mary Egerton came to Liverpool in the 1890s and managed the American Bar in Lime Street before taking over The Eagle in Pudsey Street, behind the Empire Theatre. Her bar became the favourite haunt of performers and she became friends with many, including Charlie Chaplin, Laurel and Hardy and, later, Judy Garland.
    One of her claims to fame is that her observation led to the arrest of the infamous Dr Crippen. But first to the photographs. The bottom image is of an older Ma enjoying the company of visiting sailors. The top photograph is of her in the company of visiting performers including her friend Marie Lloyd (seated with a black dress with pearls, Ma is standing next to her). Marie was a superstar of her time, a bawdy singer whose use of double-entendre thrilled audiences yet shocked the moralists. A typical song line ‘I sits among the cabbages and peas’ outraged her critics – so she agreed to change the line to ‘I sits among the cabbages and leeks’ to even greater audience approval. A strong supporter of workers’ rights, she was at the forefront of a strike by theatre workers for better pay. Picketing outside a London theatre, her attention was drawn to a young actress, Belle Elmore, crossing the strike line. ‘Don’t worry about her – she will empty the theatres faster than us’ Marie shouted .. and here the story of the top photograph unfolds.
    Belle Elmore was married to Dr Crippen and less than three years later was murdered and dismembered by her husband, who took up with his lover, Ethel le Neve. At some point after the murder, Ma Egerton visited London, where she came across Crippen, who was an old friend. She noticed that le Neve was wearing Belle’s jewellery and, her suspicions aroused, contacted the police. Crippen realised that he was under threat of being exposed, fled to Belgium with le Neve, where they boarded SS Montrose which was bound for Canada. To cover their tracks, le Neve dressed as a young man. Unfortunately for the pair, the SS Montrose was one of the first ships to have the newly invented Marconi wireless installed and the ship’s captain, suspicious of the couple who were seen holding hands, contacted his base, who in turn called in Scotland Yard. Crippen was arrested on arrival and returned to Britain where he was tried and hanged.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

12. Thanks Brett Hayes thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

next to the royal was one of the first marconi stations in the world? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that Vernon.

Looking through I noticed the London Hotel in port Melbourne.
    Back in about 2009 some of us had a Merchant Navy day celebration in there.

Sadly it is now gone, the site to be used for town houses.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast