Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Was This You ???????????

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Was This You ???????????

I did a post a while ago about me taking a Barmaid from the Caradoc home to Elphinstone Street .
    She was so Diabolical, I had to make my excuses and left saying I should be on watch on the Emp of France.
    The post is on here somewhere,.

I also remember Lord Haw Haw , William Joyce, on the radio, Germany Calling Germany Calling, during the War, telling people not to go into the Caradoc tonight as we are going to Bomb it. German Propaganda they missed.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 17th April 2020 at 01:02 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#9. Yes Terry, I recall one or two of those alehouses you mention. As to your reference to those 'luverly ladies of the night' in my experience it was usually 'Ladies of the Afternoon' that required attention especially if the tide was on the turn requiring a dash from Lime St to the Landing Stage before she cast off.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian, There's a guy lives here on our estate Tommy Sullivan ex salt a bit of a local historian he informs me as he is as old as you. That Elphinstone Street, Was a row of houses that ran between the back of the Caradoc and along side the old Seaforth dog track. Terry.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 18th April 2020 at 10:24 AM.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is right Terry,
    the outside toilet? was destroyed during the war. and she used a bucket and dumped it down the grid.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry,
    In the early 70's we took an 18,000 ton tanker into Seaforth container dock, berthed on the right immediately after the lock if I remember correctly.
    We were there for several days discharging fuel oil into a rock dodger, Metcalf's possibly, we used to go to a pub over the road via a hole in the chain link fence right on the main road, would that be the Caradoc? I cant remember the name.

6. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tony the royal was by the hole the carry is father down on the corner? fell out of both many a time.jp

8. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16. Was it you who put the hole in the fence John ? JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1971 when they opened the Seaforth container terminal by. Shifting the two container cranes around from the original terminal in Canada dry dock? there was still a lot of resistance amongst the stevedores towards containerization, chiefly amongst the number of men per gang. Originally the stevedores were allowed to park their cars in the first stack row just behind the cranes and taxis for ship staff along with trucks for ships stores/spares could drive right down to the ships gangway. All this changed after a few months when a stevedore was crushed by a straddle carrier whilst walking to his car and the dock board realised that all the cars were taking up valuable storage space. They stopped all cars, trucks etc from coming down to the ships insisting that all cars etc be parked up by the main gate entrance. This meant that if you were joining or leaving your ship you had to carry your gear from the main gate, after first running the gambit of the chocolate soldiers security guards, along marked walkway down to the ship, a distance of about half a mile. The same procedure applied to ships stores, unload the truck at the main gate and hand carry everything down to the ship. There was a bus shuttle service introduced that was supposed to run on a continuous loop but it was patchy at best. Crew change and storing dropped off considerably. Eventually a new entrance and car park was created at the head of the dock which meant crew changes and storing was much easier .
    Back to pubs, as said before, gang size was considered too big by the dock board but there was little they could do about it. After the new entrance was created an enterprising chap took over a old pub near that entrance, got a licence that only ran from morning till evening and opened it up as a go go bar, doing a roaring trade. On each shift we would only have a half gang working, the other half being in the pub, swapping around mid shift. Don't know how long that agent on for as my last trip into Liverpool on container ships ended in 73.
    Can anyone recall the name of that go go bar?
    Rgds
    J.A.

11. Thanks John F Collier, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#18. Probably the Caradoc. They're still working the welt in there.
    R635733

13. Likes Denis O'Shea, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

after coming ashore worked on the new dock driving earth movers i have walked on the bottom of that dock{before water that is} 92ft deep rock sand 52.000.000 yards of clay moved went from 26 pound a month to 180 pound a week lot of money them days..jp

15. Likes Denis O'Shea, John Gill liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast