Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Finding the name of a ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Finding the name of a ship

Hi there!

In 1967 my father travelled around South America and kept a mostly detailed diary. When he reached Montevideo he met up with the crew of a ship from Liverpool that was docked there. That ship then went to Buenos Aires, where my father subsequently travelled and again met up with the crew, stayed on the ship and played in football matches against the crews of other ships. He never named the ship and can't remember what it was called.

Is there any way to find the name of that ship?

David

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Finding the name of a ship

David - I was with Lamport & Holt Line in 1967 on a regular run to Montevideo and Buenos Aires and all our ships were based in Liverpool, so it could have been one of ours. If I remember correctly the following ships were on what we called the BA run in 1967 - RAPHAEL, RONSARD, RUBENS, ROSSINI, DRYDEN, DEVIS, and DEFOE. maybe one of those names might ring a bell with you.

It could also have been a Blue Star ship - they were mostly based in London but a few sailed from Liverpool - unfortunately I don't know which ones.

Hope this might help.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 20th February 2020 at 05:20 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Brian Samuel Guest

Additional to the L & H Ships listed above, there was another one the "Lassell" which I served on as a direct employ Radio Officer in the early 60's

After two happy voyages to South America, and whilst in BA I received a letter from the Radio Superintendent in Liverpool a Mr Brazil that L & H would no longer employ Radio Officers, and would be contracting this out to Marconi. As I did not wish to work for Marconi, I re joined International Marine Radio and returned to Cunard

The Lassell was always on her "last voyage" as she was a Liberty Ship originally called John J McGraw ( a famous USA Baseball Player) and still had the original thick plastic padding around the bridge superstructure

I recall that we dreamt up a rhyme which went as follows

Last time in the last Great War the Yanks did build John J McGraw
    And then it came to happen thus that Lamports bought this rusty bus
    Sentenced and reprieved she's on her guard from grasping greek or breakers yard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave, You certainly have a job on your hands there mate, I will confuse it all a little more during my time with T@J Harrison of Liverpool we also took in a few South American ports, And I can remember a game of footy with anyone who was up for it most Sundays, Happy days Dave and no doubt your old man enjoyed every minute of it good luck mate Terry.
    {terry scouse}

6. Thanks David Raven thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dave, Here is another outfit that would be found down the west coast of South America these could pop up anywhere { Pacific Steamship Navigation Company } Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on a South American Saint line ship in the same era, all their ships were on that run, but for the life of me i cannot remember where they were registered, kt
    R689823

9. Thanks David John, David Raven thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, David John liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi David,
    I would say that what you need is the name of you Dad's ship and the date it was in Montevideo then find a copy of Lloyds List for that date and see which ships were in Monte then do the same for BA figure out which are Liverpool registered and you will have a very short list.

I know, your saying Lloyds List for some date in the 60's yer right but I remember looking at copies of old Lloyds List on Micro Fisce? at either The National Archives, London Metropolitan Archives or 1 more place between Angel tube stn and Farringdon which I cannot remember the name of.

I'm sure someone on this site can direct you to an archive of Lloyds Lists.

Good luck with you search.

Alan.

P.S. I was on the Lassell in 61 and visited Montevideo and BA but I never played football, ever.
    Last edited by casso; 27th February 2020 at 06:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 60s and 70s Lloyd’s list and the Journal of Commerce were the source my job hunting endeavours. In those days they could be found in all public Library’s. Today however is different , there must I assume be a graveyard for old editions of the same. Passing Lands end and going through the straights of Gibraltar Lloyd’s hailing station used to call you up on the lamp and ask you if you wanted to be reported into Lloyd’s . However as there was a cost to pay for this privilige unless you had a good reason for wanting reported in the answer was invariably No. Other parts of the world I have no memories of doing such. Countries like Australia and America had report in systems compulsory by radio when transmitting their waters and approaches . The Australianone usedto Be Report in every 4 hours by radio with position course and speed, untill well clear of Australian waters up to about 300 miles . If your. Radio malfunctioned and you couldn’t get a message out , AMSA assumed you were in difficulty’s and had search planes out and could be very embarrassing. Nearly happened to me once , but managed to call up another ship on the lamp who transmitted the problems to Canberra. A similar system in the USA was run by the US coastguard.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wellcome back John, nice to hear from you again, regards KT
    R689823

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David
    Thinking logically first up what was your Dads name Full name ande Place of Birth also Where was he Born
    I ask as with this although still some searching to do one can then find his Records when he was at Sea,from there with his Papers we can track down the date near as possible , which should show in his Discharge papers.
    This is at least a start i feel and besides looking at the Lloyds Registers this will be another way
    Worth a try!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast