Hi Guys

My name is Gavin, I’m currently completing a Master of Applied Science (Marine Engineering) with the University of Tasmania. As part of my course, I’m carrying out a research project that analyses the performance of oily water separators (OWS) across the maritime industry. The aim of the research is to find out if poorly designed supporting systems are negatively effecting OWS performance. To determine this, I’ve created a 5-10 minute survey aimed at the people who operate these systems (i.e. seagoing engineers). I’d like to get as many engineers as possible to take the survey, so i thought i'd post a link to the survey on this forum, if allowed. The survey itself will provide information that will rank current OWS types against other provided technical data. This information should then reveal ways of improving OWS system design.

The inspiration behind my research has come from my time spent working as a marine engineer for the last 7 years, mostly in the Oil & Gas industry. During this time, I’ve experienced a number of OWS systems that were poorly designed, sometimes making them almost unusable. This in turn placed undue pressure on the engineers that operated them. For the majority of these cases, slight changes to the system during installation would have prevented these issues.

The survey is completely anonymous and no personal information is taken or requested. My target audience is seagoing engineers, of which I need a minimum of 300 responses to give this project weight. If any engineers on here have a spare 10 minutes to complete the survey it would really be appreciated. The more industry professionals that take the survey, the more accurate the research will be, which will hopefully lead to less stress for the people that use these systems. Whenever we hear about OWS violations, it’s usually the seafarers that are blamed. The survey has the potential to shed light on what the actual issues are.

Link to the survey – https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/M2LLFB5

Here's a link to an article that also explains the survey - https://www.maritimeprofessional.com...arators-357052

If you have any questions or need clarification on anything, please feel free to ask me here or by emailing me at gavinh@utas.edu.au.

Thanks for reading!

Cheers,
Gavin