Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: question regarding cadets and apprentices.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: question regarding cadets and apprentices.

#20 Ivan I often wonder if the expression uncertificated 3rd. mate confuses people. As there was no certificate for 3rd. mate as such in the British Merchant Service , he either had a 2nd. mates or 1st. mates or masters certificate. We know what it means , others may misread it as not having a non existant cert. Cheers JS
    PS Believe the Americans have a 3rd Mates Licence. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st November 2020 at 08:02 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #20 Ivan I often wonder if the expression uncertificated 3rd. mate confuses people. As there was no certificate for 3rd. mate as such in the British Merchant Service , he either had a 2nd. mates or 1st. mates or masters certificate. We know what it means , others may misread it as not having a non existant cert. Cheers JS
    PS Believe the Americans have a 3rd Mates Licence. JS
    John, I don't think anyone will be confused, as 99.999% of the population don't know that a Merchant Navy exists, and if they do, they have no idea of its function, cheers.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For those still not knowing the difference between an apprentice and a cadet , the following paragraph is an extraction from an apprentices indenture . The whole indenture is too
    Long to print in its entirety and as Ivan says most people would never understand it.
    “ AND IT IS FURTHER AGREED “
    That if the said term of 4 years expires whilst the apprentice is working outside of the U.K., he will continue to serve on board his vessel until the next arrival within Home Trade limits, or until the. Termination of the current Articles of Agreement and shall sign on as. Cadet, and shall be paid at the appropriate rate of an Able Bodied Seaman.

I have a feeling have put this up before, this is a shipping office standard document of 1952 vintage , and shows without a shadow of doubt a Cadet and an Apprentice were two different entities. This may differ today , but was certainly not so in my days and others I suppose.
    As said previously an acquaintance of mine living now in Canada did 5 years away outside the UK. He was an apprentice to start with but was thankful for a years wages as an AB. Allowed him to stay ashore a bit longer than the 12 weeks dole which were allowed to get your certificate of competency. If remember in 1957 was 30/- a week and the nautical school I attended was a pound a week fees. Not much leeway for wine women and song. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 9th January 2021 at 04:12 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Much the same ashore John.
    An apprenticeship is usually four years with some schooling involved and piss poor wages for the first three years.

Cadets as in Army or Police are a different thing all together.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3