Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hostile Waters

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hostile Waters

#40 I think someone at an earlier date put a picture of her up, but where it is now don’t know., think it may of been Graham Shaw? . It would of had its history as well, but what I remember no mention of Mullions. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th August 2022 at 03:23 AM.
    R575129

2. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When Hyria was on the Saigon run, she would do the occasional R & R trips to Australia, calling at Wyndham on its way south. Had some good parties on board.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#42 may have asked before you weren’t in Wyndham in the Time 90s when think it was Argyle diamonds brought in the South African dredger into the Cambridge Gulf looking for diamonds were you Colin , I was acting for tender for her giving her Fresh water and fuel, stores etc. out of Wyndham also taken any finds back to the base they had in the port. Funnily enough I often said I didn’t need a guard for security for any gems they found but no one would listen to me. That one pub on the jetty was the only danger there in getting back to the ship in the dark was fraught with danger from the occasional old croc . JS .
    R575129

6. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS, The Eastern Queen was in fact a passenger cargo ship built by Denny’s of Dumbarton in 1952. She could carry 26 first class passengers, however, the tween decks could be adapted to carry 500 I believe. That is what we were chartered to carry to North Vietnam in the early 60s. Following the 8 trips to Vietnam we dry docked in Hong Kong following which we spent 12 Months running a cargo service from Aussie to Japan including on some occasions first class passengers. She was in fact at the time the flag ship of the Indo China Steam Navigation Company owned by Jardine Mathason. She was registered in Hong Kong and was mostly a happy ship.

All the best,
    Mike

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I sailed on Hyria in those waters including Saigon 1964-1966 as a Singaporean deck cadet during the war, can remember many officers who frequently returned to Hyria after holidays. So a name and position of your relative may help. Trade was out of Singapore in Shell Eastern Fleet. I now live in Australia. Geoff

10. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Geoffrey reading your abbreviated C.V. See you were apparently brought up in Singapore and assuming it was like most alien outposts of the time may of had a close knit expat community. A friend of mine quite a bit older than you died about 12 years ago , but he was a long term resident of Singapore, he was not a seafarer ex soldier wartime only in fact. He was an accountant by career and was at one time the head one for Singapore and Malaysian Airlines . Seeing your interest in the airline museum in Melbourne puts up the slight possibility that either you or your parents may have known him. So on the usual long shot of nothing ventured nothing gained , his name was Alexander Cooper , does it bring back any memories of having maybe known of.? Cheers JS

Further to the above , there was a member of this site think his name was Richard Tremayne but could be wrong on that, who lived over your way , Melbourne I think , who started his sea career in catering and later worked ashore in shipping agencies one of which was in Singapore. Today however believe he has also gone to the palace above. However I had the same query for him and he responded that Cooper was the name of the diplomat and representative of the British Government prior to 1940 and responsible for the area of Singapore . Putting two and two together think this was Alex’s father which he never discussed with me. I forwarded all this info. To the people who where looking for such , so am speaking from memory only. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th August 2022 at 02:51 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No JS I was harbourmaster in 1971, then went to Darwin

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Texaco Saigon was renamed Texaco Singapore after being jumboised. In the focsle were flak jackets and helmets.

15. Likes Tony Taylor, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Hostile Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Harris View Post
    The Texaco Saigon was renamed Texaco Singapore after being jumboised. In the focsle were flak jackets and helmets.
    LINK CALTEX/TEXACO SAIGON- SINGAPORE

17. Likes Bill Morrison liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5