Thread: Tranmere & Lairds

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tranmere & Lairds

Nice photo this , I expect a few of us would have discharged alongside Tranmere oil terminal. I served my time in Lairds. Now were was this photo taken from? Maybe from the top floor of the Atlantic tower Hotel ? Nice though.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th August 2022 at 11:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tranmere & Lairds

I joined my first ship there in September 1967 as a first trip deck cadet on Canadian Pacific 's Lord Mount Stephen, struggling down the access walkway with a big suitcase full of mainly useless uniforms care of Messer's Greenberg's, after been taken on by C.P two days previously directly after leaving school. After eventually making it up the gangway and been shown to my cabin, within minutes a superfit chief officer (ex royal marine) came to the cabin, threw a boiler suit at me and told me to meet him in the cargo control room right away. Not knowing my way around the ship, having only been onboard 5 minutes, it took me sometime to actually find this control room. The mate immediately grabbed me and for the next 6 hours had me swinging valves down in the pump Room (4 turbine driven centrifugal cargo pumps screaming away making it impossible to hear anything, just getting pointed to a valve and indicated to swing it), then up onto deck and told to swing that valve, absolutely knackered after 6 hours of that, 6 hours off then had to do it all again. 36 hours later we sailed and I eventually got to meet all my new shipmates and the captain. A few days later I was introduced by the mate to the joys of the 06:00 wheelhouse scrub out and polishing all the brass work.
    Rgds
    J.A.