Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Europe to Australia by ship these days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Europe to Australia by ship these days

Again, my thanks for all who have replied. I am still pondering what i'll eventually do.
    P.S. So nice to see you back Doc, but do try to take things easy and not overdo it.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let us know what you decide, Trevor,

I still think the best bet is a few whiskys and a night flight so you sleep all the way. with a stop over in Singers.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi John
    I think, [ could be wrong tho`] that insurance on the credit card, . mine is AMEX, THAT IT ONLY COVERS TRAVEL, NOT AN ILNESS OR ACCIDEN
    only if you paid for the trip on that card,.
    They would not have paid my bill in Honolulu that was for $85,000 US Dollars.So the banks insurance at £750 for two of us, £375 each, world wide for 12 months , both over 80 years old is still a good deal.
    Cheers Brian

Our card issued by the bank covers health as well as all other matters.
    Different system here in Oz travel insurance is not compulsory as I have been told it is in UK.
    Also no age limit as that would be seen as discrimination.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree, never used to take out insurance until I got a spot of DVT on a flight from London to Singapore, fortunately it was not that bad but never leave without insurance now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Different system here in Oz travel insurance is not compulsory as I have been told it is in UK.
    Not compulsory as yet John, but airlines serving the USA, no matter where you join a flight in Europe will not carry you unless you have travel insurance for your stay in the USA. That's what I have experienced.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was in hospital in Honolulu the Doctor told me that if I had no insurance they would just give me enough treatment to fly home. Fortunately I had insurance, three weeks in hospital, two life saving operations, a week in a hotel, Anne was in for four weeks, waiting, and a first class flight back to Manchester, a chauffer waiting to take us home.
    $85,000 OR AROUND £65,000 , So always insure. Always expect the Unexpected.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think its madness not to have travel insurance, if you are too ill to take a flight, and the airlines do refuse to carry sick patients, and sometimes insist a nurse flies with you, the bill that racks up could quite easily clean you right out. This is where travel insurance can get expensive at our older age, mine is with my bank, and the two things they want to know what your plans are is, cruising, and ski holidays. I think they have learnt that cruising companies really clobber the Insurance companies if you are taken ill on holiday, and the ski holidays carry an obvious risk, . In my case neither a cruising holiday or ski ing is ever going to happen, neither appeal to me, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Not compulsory as yet John, but airlines serving the USA, no matter where you join a flight in Europe will not carry you unless you have travel insurance for your stay in the USA. That's what I have experienced.
    Very true Ivan, but here in Oz it is up to the individual if they take it out or not.
    But a number of Asian countries have reciprocal agreements with Oz when it comes to health, as does the UK with citizens from Oz and NZ.

As to DVT, I always were compression stockings when flying, no worries there.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes Trevor Bodiam liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are certainly correct Keith (#39) about madness not to insure. Accidents happen. Wife and self flew from Auckland to Sydney to join a cruise, with a one-night stay in a hotel pre-cruise in 2016. Wife fell in the hotel room, broke a wrist, off to St. Vincent Hospital for X-ray, not good said the Docs, we operate tomorrow. Wife had heart attack while pre-op taking place, op abandoned when deciding heart more important than wrist. No flying to anywhere said the Docs she stays right here. Cleared after five nights stay so home to Auckland "...and no flying refugee class, up-front or not at all", they said. Cruise was a non-event for us while extra hotel stays, taxis and the occasional sandwich for self took care of spending money. Insurance covered all costs, including the cruise fares, except the excess. No costs for hospital due to Aus and NZ medical co-operative arrangements. For me it's no travel without comprehensive insurance. St Vincent is a great hospital which has the reputation, I learned, of not discharging a patient until even the tiniest pimple has been flattened.

Travel insurance is a strange thing which pending travellers often seem to nit-pick over. The same travellers would rarely question a hotel charge, a meal cost or the cost of entry to some gig or other, either of which has little or no benefit, in comparison, after tomorrow.
    KenT
    R412277

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My thanks to all who responded to this thread.
    Anyway, it is now all settled and worked out. I am staying home and babysitting the dog. My wife will visit her son and his partner for 4 weeks in May. As i will not be travelling she lashed out and will travel business class and ended up booking with Finnair.
    This solution makes us both happy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast