Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Saudi Arabia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Saudi Arabia

I am sure like a lot of us on here we have all sailed into various ports in Saudi Arabia. First time I was ever there was in 1977. I have to admit I did find it an interesting place, especially Jeddah. I even bought my future wife's engagement ring there. Even when it was valued in the UK I was told I had got a bargain. Concerning my wife I certainly did get a bargain and after 36 years still going strong. Jeddah was my favourite port in Saudi if there had to be one. We used to get a decent run ashore there for shopping. Bought a cracking camera there , Minolta S 7 had it for years, funny though when I bought it they would not sell me any film with it.
    Ras Tanurah was a place you only ever wanted to pay off if you were really desperate. Paying off there you would just leave anything of value on the ship and agree with the master that it would be put ashore at a civilised port and sent home from there.

Talking about civilised, just read today that Saudi Arabia publicly executed 37 people on Tuesday, how on earth can we or the rest of the world continue to trade with this nation. Disgusted.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Saudi Arabia

AH yes Jeddah - bond closed & sealed prior to picking up the Pilot - the chicane of reefs whilst entering, and the abject horror of seeing the crew playing football on the quay with a case of Harp Lager as one of the goalposts. The instant dispatch of two Cadets to retrieve the offending case into a canvas bag which was then hidden in the galley oven till we left. There will never be the likes again
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Samuel
    Ras Tenura one of the most inhospitable places on Earth, unfortunately was there many times back in the 50s.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only went there once, thank goodness. Arrived early morning as we had been advised, much easier to see reef and safely navigate inwards. Long hot standbye and berthing, so mate came off of focsle and in a moment of absentmindedness, got a beer from his fridge, poor old Captain Roberts nearly had a heart attack. Luckily no one else saw him.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Saudi Arabia, where you will be executed for being gay.
    Moat of their executions are in public and done by beheading with a sword.
    But things are on the improve, females are now being allowed to drive!!!!

But yes by western standards they are well behind the times with some laws, but not alone on this.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The so called civilised world headed by US and UK worships at the altar of the god of money , the Saudis have an abundance of money.
    The royal dictators know they can murder , torture and imprison men women and children , kill thousands of civilians in Yemen while others die from disease and starvation. US and British governments will never criticize or condemn their actions because of the billions upon billions of dollars flowing into their treasuries from arms sales and investments. Conscience , rule of law , war crimes and human rights all come way down the list of priorities behind the god of money.

7. Thanks Ken Norton, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent several years running into Saudi.
    in the anchorage several miles off shore near Rastanurrah the Customs boarded a Dutch ship, and discovered an empty beer can in the trash,
    The Captain was taken ashore and given 100 lashes and a year in a hole in the ground called a prison, the Agent ashore , who had never seen the ship was also given the same sentence, the ship was Confiscated.

I had my leg crushed on SEA ISLAND near Rastan, and went ashore in a boat, the customs went through every item of clothing as I sat there in a pool of blood, nearly two hours. then an eight hour drive to hospital in Al Khobar which was infested with rats and cockroaches,
    The Doctor looked at my leg and said, "No Problem, I will amputate," No chance, I got out of there fast, with a broom as a crutch. and got the Agent to fly me home next day.it is an evil place, In 1975, I went ashore one Friday with the Agent to his office, and we were stopped by the Police, there were crowds of people, including young children, It was Execution day, we had to watch four men one at a time kneel down and the man with the sword did a dance as he swung his sword around then CHOP, off came the head with a long spurt of blood. everyone cheered, he has to take off the head in one blow. if it takes more then he has failed. Then two men who had stolen something had their hand cut off with a guillotine,

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed in and out of Jeddah a few times in the 70s I also bought my wife's engagement ring there {White gold single diamond } More out of curiosity than anything else I got it valued in BOODLE AND DUNTHORP in Liverpool in the mid 90s, Unknown to my wife, I think I paid around £30 for it in Jeddah, When the jeweler looked at it here in L,Pool I have to admit sir I cant read the markings, Never seen anything like it before can you leave it overnight and I will get my boss to look at it. Went back into the shop the next day AHHH Good news sir my boss will give you £275 for the ring. She still wears it every day. Terry
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to buy a lot of jewelry in the Gulf , Kuwait, Dubai and Saudi, never got ripped off once. Sometimes the wife would be honest and say sorry love but that is not my taste sow e would sell it on. She has started to give my daughter inlaw bits and pieces now.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In NZ over fifty people were killed by a madman, the whole world lamented. On Tue in Saudi Arabia 38 people were executed in a public place, not a peep from anyone, especially our candle bearing politicians who stood a vigil when they shot two Australian drug smugglers in Indonesia .

Back to Rastanura, my last visit on a BTC tanker, as we were heading for the port this big Yank bulk er came tearing past, probably wanting to beat us in, we all looked on in amazement as she bounced over the reef, if I remember correctly she either ripped her rudder off or her prop, no problem for the Yanks they filled her up and got another of the fleet to tow her home, on our way home we passed her, wee were doing the usual ten knots but it took awhile to pass her.
    Des

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast